"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Pop Pie Co., soft opening

This past Wednesday was the soft opening of a new business in this neighborhood...

A few blocks south of the iconic University Heights arch was the first brick and mortar shop of Pop Pie...

The Educator GF's and I had tried their pies before at James Coffee earlier this year. I had an hour of free time this morning so off I went after dropping off TC at sports practice...

It was only a little after 10 am on their first "soft opening" day. I was able to find parking along Meade Ave.


The line was out the door and it kind of sucked being in the sun while waiting to go inside.  When I left, the line was even longer so I guess I shouldn't be complaining because it wasn't that bad for me in retrospect.



There's limited seating both inside and out and I can see this place getting filled up pretty quickly. The decor is minimalistic black and white, with cool tiles and pendant Edison bulb lighting


Coffee is from James. I ordered an iced cold brew...

It was 10:40 by the time I got to the counter. They were out of all but two flavors of their savory pies, so I got what was left, the Classic Chicken Pot Pie and the Jackfruit. I really wantedthe Steak & Ale but that would be an additional 20 minute wait, time I didn't have. I still had to pick up TC and go over to my mom's - it was her 77th birthday today!

I also got two of the mini sweet pies - Only three flavors were left but the lady in front of me got the last Coconut cream pie so I just go the Matcha and the Apple crumble.

I wished they had more of their other savories available that morning.



The damage. I don't know if I would pay this much for pies again, especially those little ones but they sure tasted good.




With cream and sugar and before it was imbibed.

Jackfruit Pie:

Classic Chicken Pot Pie:

Apple crumble - this had a great crust (thick and buttery) and the filling was nice and sweet with the apple and streusel topping.

Matcha - I've had this before at James Coffee. Sadly, this pie shifted during transit so the filling tilted on on side. At the bottom the of the pie was a thin layer of chocolate ganache; it was also topped with pistachios.  We liked the apple crumb better. Bert wasn't a fan of the matcha filling since he felt it was too soft.

Pie innards - chicken

and jackfruit

To be honest, the fillings LOOK interchangeable. I could even be wrong in how I identified them here, ha ha. The gravy for both had the same creamy consistency with the carrots, celery and peas. The only difference was that one used real chicken and the other, green jackfruit, which has a similar consistency but of course, is vegetarian. I liked the chicken much better. Both had a nice crust and tasted all right later that evening. Too bad we didn't eat these right away but lunch was spent at my parents' house for my mom's birthday celebration so I had to refrigerate these pies.

Kirbie also visited Pop Pie a couple of times. Once she puts up her post, I will link it here (smiley face). She and Mr. K were able to try both the Savory and Sweet pies as well as some of their specialty coffee drinks. [Update on 10/4/16 - here is her post!]

Articles:
"Pop Pie Co. planning Wednesday premiere on Park Blvd."SD Eater, Sept. 26, 2016
"Handheld pies, both sweet & savory, are headed for University Heights" SD Eater, Jan, 20, 2016

Previous taste of Pop Pie Co. (when they were still a "pop up") @ James Coffee:
"Pre-Birthday food crawl with the Educator GF's - First stop for caffeine and Pie @ James Coffee" April 2016

Pop Pie Co.
4404 Park Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92116
(206) 900-4743

www.poppieco.coml fb page + the sparse (so far) reviews from you know where

A few days ago, I passed by while taking the long way to the freeway from North Park. I spied a new Glow mural on the north side of the building! That post is forthcoming...

2 comments:

Kirbie said...

Thanks for adding the link to my post! I hope you get to try the steak and ale one as the filling and gravy is quite different.

caninecologne said...

Of course! Link love! :)

One of these days I will try that steak and ale. I was kind of disappointed that the chicken and the jackfruit pot pie fillings were so similar. It's good to know that the steak and ale has a different flavor.