
Before heading back to work, we had lunch off Main St in Chula Vista...
This exit is one just exit north of where I grew up. Back in the days, and actually up to the early 2000's, this patch of land which is now a strip mall called "Chula Vista Crossings", used to be the old junkyard and dump. There were also patches of farmland nearby which is now where condos are. How things have changed over the decade.
So now instead of spare car parts, unwanted mattress, tools, and other detritus, there are stores and eateries. One such eatery is Souplantation. There used to be a similar place called Soup Exchange off of E Street near the I-5 on the other side of Chula Vista decades ago, but that has gone by the wayside. I only remember it because N, Astroboi and I used to take home blueberry muffins and stuff in our huge 80's satchel bags (well, N and I would). Plus, there was the other time I ate there and had the most horrible bout of food poisoning. But I digress..
They open for lunch at 11 am and we were all able to use an online coupon that our coworker shared with us (yay for saving money).

Some of their monthly offerings:


I had both and found the salad underwhelming. I was expecting chunks of avocado but instead, it was smashed into the dressing. The bacon was also under represented. The Chicago Pepperoni and sausage focaccia on the other hand was much much better.
My plate - various foccaccia, clam chowder, salad and pasta. I do like their tuna tarragon pasta salad. I also never add dressing to my green salad, but love having crunchy bits in there (sunflower seeds, croutons).

My second round - notice the soups aren't filled to the brim. The one on the left was some sort of soup with hatch chilies and corn in it (it was spicy) and on the right was mushroom (this was really good). I didn't get too much on the second plate and ended up not getting dessert since I don't really like their water soft serve.

A few weeks later, Bert, TC and I were on our way down south for some errands and decided to come here for an early lunch.


They didn't have all of their salads out yet and we noticed that they had breakfast items out, since they do open earlier on weekends. I stuck with mostly lunch items rather than breakfast. We came at the tail end so they were already clearing out the breakfast stuff.

Healthy...

I didn't take photos of the stations. I'm sure you have all been to a Souplantation at one point or another and guess what, they are all the same. Except for those monthly specials which you can check online but otherwise, it's pretty much the same. For October they had a lot of pumpkin flavored stuff. You know how I feel about that, ha ha.
Souplation
1810 Main Court
Chula Vista, CA 91911
(619) 216-9843
souplantation.com + reviews from tripadvisor, foursquare & y***
We were also able to save money using another online coupon, so woo hoo. I remember when dinner used to be $9.99 here and lunch was $7.99. Gone are those days. About this location, expect it to be super busy during the peak hours. Our visits were not that bad and we were able to find seating easily. The noise level, like at most Souplantations is pretty bad, especially with the raised ceilings. It also depends if there are unsupervised children whose parents don't care if they throw tantrums. Not fun, but luckily, not the case during our visits. Staff and service was also quite friendly and efficient. So glad we stopped by again. It's good to have a healthy choice nearby.


No comments:
Post a Comment