we made the short trek over to the Miramar area to have some lunch.
I noticed that the strip mall sign had changed...
It used to look like this,with a different name and stationary pennants.
(photo from my previous "Capetown" post from Sept. 2014)
Bert hadn't been here before and was curious to try Capetown, a South African restaurant that TC and I visited a few years back. This reason, plus coupon.
It looked the same as it did before, spacious and filled with lots of South African art and crafts for sale (baskets, sculptures, etc).

They also have foods that customers could take home and enjoy later.
Their menu which you can also view online here

The basket with bottle caps above was one of the many African made handicrafts on sale here.
Our meal - Bobotie, Lemon and Herb Chicken Sosatie and a side of slap fries.
Both dishes came with a fragrant yellow rice. The skewers were delicious and in between each piece of meat were chunks of onion and dried apricots. TC enjoyed the corn and salad on both plates. The bobotie, I've had before and wanted it again. It's like a meatloaf with a custard egg topping which had a nice crust to it. The meat was flavored with raisins, walnuts and apricots and is considered South Africa's national dish.

As for those slap fries, we all enjoyed the thick cut fries which were flavored with malt vinegar, which wasn't too overpowering. Both dishes were excellent and we ended up taking home the chicken dish as leftovers.
We had to get back to the performance venue...passing by the giant pyramid on Miramar Road.
And this sign for Savory Buffet - I really dig the old school looking "Gilligan's Islandesqe" font, ha ha.
I'm not into buffets all that much. Not sure how this one would be, but that font though.
Previous visit to Capetown Bar and Grill:
September 2014
I still have an online coupon for this place and hope to use it before it expires because I want to try the other South African specialties like their Bunny Chow and Curry...Kudos to our waiter who was very chill and efficient. The place wasn't so busy during our visit, but I think this place is probably busier at night after everyone gets off work.


No comments:
Post a Comment