"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, October 27, 2016

El Pollo Grill, Bonita

One of my colleagues invited us to lunch with her at a fairly new Mexican eatery...

It's right near the 805 freeway off Bonita Road...

Opened just five weeks ago...

El Pollo Grill, not to be confused with El Pollo Loco, was also hosting a fundraiser for my colleague's son's football team. Of course, we had to go support him.  The eatery was busy from the minute we stepped in up to the point when we left. Lots of take out.  It smelled so good in here, the lovely aroma of flame-broiled chicken. I had to try one of their chicken meals.



Salsa bar on the left wall...

which is next to waters, salsas and tortillas that you could purchase to round out your meal at home. The decor here by the way, is beautiful. There are all  kinds of hand painted plates and platters, as well as adobe tiles, sconces and bowls along with brilliant paper flowers.  La Ley said the painted potter is called "Talavera" which originated from Puebla, Mexico.  It is a type of majolica pottery which has a characteristic white glaze. Only certain colors are permitted and the unpainted portions show the terra cotta underneath.


Pickled carrots, onions, and jalapenos...

This was Mr. TJ's plate, Combo C - A half chicken with rice, beans and tortillas (they give you a choice of rice or corn). This was only $9.99.  And would you look at that plate? Wow, very beautiful!

This my meal, Combo A - One quarter chicken with rice, beans, and tortillas; only $7.99.  This was A LOT of food, I tell you! La Ley also had the same combo. She made little burritos with her tortillas. I really liked the beans here because they were whole and not mushy. It's a texture thing for me.  My quarter chicken consisted of a leg and part of the back.

Still my plate...that crisped and seasoned chicken skin was to die for. The chicken was tender, juicy and very tasty.

My colleague's rolled taco combo plate...Again, very generous portions here. Every painted plate so far was different.

Our colleague who invited us got the rolled tacos as well but by itself.

El Pollo Grill is in the same strip mall as the new Taqueria Revolucion (the other location is in San Ysidro which Kirk posted about last year).  This strip mall also used to have Pier 1 but it didn't last that long. In fact, this whole area is kind of an awkward place to put a business, sharing space with a massage parlor, Subway, and a gym to name a few.

In April of this year, Taqueria Revolucion took over the spot that used to be Memelas, a hybrid Thai/Taco fusion place (which I blogged about two times).

(photo from my "Memelas: Tacos + Thai + Rock" post,  June 2012)

I hope this place does well!  Judging from the amount of folks who were in during the lunch hour, it seems safe to say that they will be around for awhile.

El Pollo Grill
3041 Bonita Rd., Ste 105
Bonita, CA 91902
(619) 653-1902

www.elpollogrill.com + reviews from you know where

The other location of El Pollo Grill is in Lemon Grove, FYI.

This would be a place I wouldn't mind picking up a family meal for the nights I don't want to cook. Very convenient.

Some other flame broiled chicken places recommended by my Mexican friends are:
Super Pollo (there is a new one in Otay Ranch, which replaced the now defunct Love Cupcake Cafe) and in old Chula Vista, Pollo Amigo (on Main St in south CV). I'll have to check those places out soon to make my comparison!

2 comments:

G. said...

New reader here (hi!) and I wanted to thank you for posting this review. I was a frequent diner at the orginal location in Lemon Grove until I had an unfortunate food poisoning incident with a chicken burrito. Hey, it happens, and my friends and family still dine there quite regularly without incident, but it's always made me gun shy about returning. So thanks for the review of the second location. Maybe I'll push through my mental block and try the shiny new place!

Also, that Taqueria Revolution location is reeeeaaally good and very nice people who work there. :)

caninecologne said...

Hello G - Thanks so much for visiting and also for commenting! :)

Sorry to hear about the food poisoning experience - that's never any fun. Maybe you can give this new place a try. I was there again earlier this week and tried a similar combo (but with rice and beans subbed out with salad). The chicken seemed to be on the salty side but was still nicely roasted and delicious. I'm going to have to try the Taqueria place too! Thanks for the rec.

Your blog is amazing by the way - especially knowing about all of the coupon codes (very helpful!). I also noticed on your profile that we like a lot of the same movies, especially my top 3 faves that comprise my blog name. Yay!