"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, September 29, 2014

Cape Town

Last Friday TC and went to check out a fairly new restaurant up in Mira Mesa. It's in this strip mall east of the Pyramid on Miramar Road.

Just look for the flags and remember that's it's across from a golf course. It's a bit of a random place to put a South African restaurant...

but of course we were willing to drive up to give this place a shot..

because of our favorite moneysaving friend, the coupon. The owners of Capetown were the same good folks who formerly owned Deli SA which used to be in Kearny Mesa. They, along with an investor, opened up this huge restaurant which has a sports bar feel.  There are a lot of flat screen tv's, bright colors, several sections devoted to South African products like arts and crafts and even wine.



You may also view their menu online here:



This is such a great painting of the late Nelson Mandela...

We liked their educational placemats and the artwork in the restaurant (African masks, figurines and paintings).

The condiments were simple - ketchup and malt vinegar.


We started off with the Peri Peri wings, which weren't "obnoxiously hot" as our waitress so colorfully remarked. They did have a bit of heat to it and I was surprised that TC chose this and was able to handle it quite well.

I ordered Bobotie, considered the national dish of South Africa while TC had the Hout Bay fish and chips.

She had two large, but flat fish fillets lightly covered with flour and spices, not a thick batter. It was served with a side of housemade tartar sauce, limes instead of lemons and what they call "slap chips". The potatoes are left skin on and are thick cut. They are fried and once done, they are thrown into a bowl and lightly doused with malt vinegar. Me, being averse to heavily vinegared foods actually liked this. The vinegar scent and flavor wasn't too strong and gave the potatoes a tangy kick. We loved these "fries" (The American in me wants to call them fries instead of chips!) because of their thickness and their soft texture (but not goopy, mind you).

This....NOW THIS....was one of the best new foods I've tried in a while and I liked it so much that I am planning to make it this week once we finish our leftovers. Bobotie is the South African version of meatloaf. It is sweet and savory, with the inclusion of apricots or sometimes chutney, raisins, and spiced with walnuts, onions, turmeric and curry. Interestingly, there is a layer of egg custard on top which is poured on after the meatloaf has cooked. The recipes have you pouring on the egg/milk mixture and then baking it an additional 20 or so minutes. The dish is served with yellow rice (from turmeric).


See the apricots?

OMG, I really loved this and I can't wait to try making Joelen's recipe (she is the foodblogger I met back in 2009 for our Chicago trip)...

Who else went to Capetown?
Mary and her coworkers went here back in April 2014

Reviews:
Cape Town Pub South African Fusion foods and wines" Examiner.com, May 7, 2014
"Unique South African pub cuisine a hit in Miramar" Discover SD, May 23, 2014

Cape Town
7580 Miramar Road
San Diego, CA 92126
(858) 800-2700

www.capetownpub.com + their fb page

Our waitress was super nice and very helpful when making our choices. The whole place has a very relaxed vibe (they were playing the music I love to hate, Jawaaian), at least that early in the morning (we came at 11:15 a.m., a few minutes after they opened). As we left, the office lunch rush was starting. I can imagine that it gets even more busy during happy hour and during major sporting events.  Even without a coupon, I would totally go here again to try their other South African specialties (meat pies!)...

6 comments:

Kirbie said...

Mmm, I really want to try this place out. I'd forgotten about it!

caninecologne said...

Hi Kirbie - I think you and Mr. K would like it here. I really enjoyed that bobotie so much and the slap fries too.

Mary said...

The slap fries are hard to describe! They're soft but not soggy, I really like them (I sometimes order it without the extra vinegar, when I remember). From far away the bobotie looked like a piece of grilled fish until you did the closeup. It looks so interesting, I'll have to try that the next time I'm there.

caninecologne said...

Mary, the fried are definitely not soggy. I can't beleieve Iiked it because of the vinegar. U should try the bobotie next time. I think u woulld like it.

Cathy Doe said...

The menu is so interesting; we'll be trying. This location is great for all the office workers and military looking for lunch. Thanks for posting.

caninecologne said...

Yes, give this place a try! :)