"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Anikin's Fruit & Deli, Golden Hill + Golden Hill Park

TC is learning how to drive and at the time of this visit, hadn't completely finished her six hours of on the road instruction...

That didn't deter us from having her drive from a nearby coffee shop in North Park to Golden Hill...

Sadly, there was no parking in this lot with new (to me) solar panels...

The parking was pretty tight so we instructed TC to park off a side street where she and Bert exchanged places and so he could parallel park because she hadn't learned that yet. Hell, I can't even parallel park to save my life. The only way I'll do it is if the space is empty and I can drive right in and be in the front, or if there is an empty space behind a car already. Or, if the spaces are pretty damn big enough for me to just drive into it with a minimum of having to do a million point turns because frankly, parallel parking sucks ballz.

We had a coupon for Anikin's Fruit & Deli in Golden Hill. This is the newer location on 25th St. and not to be confused with the older location on 30th and Broadway, also in Golden Hill. That one is next to Anakin's Barbershop.  The coupon I had was specifically for this place as it was the only address listed. There was some confusion when it was presented to the Latino gentleman at the counter. He said this was under old management and we had to go to the other location. The other worker couldn't even tell us where it was and a third lady came by who spoke English. She said they would honor the buy 1 get 1 free coupon this time, but for future reference, the new management didn't accept them anymore. So Mary, if you're reading this, caveat emptor!


It's small inside with only about three seats near the window and a small table outside. The coupon was for up to $5 off. TC was hungry so instead of a smoothie or juice, she chose a wrap as did Bert.


The wraps were vegetarian for TC and turkey for Bert and I. Instead of eating it here, I checked google maps and saw that a park was nearby.

Well, hello, another opportunity for TC to drive the car yet again!

The park in question was Golden Hill Park and it's right off 25th St. It has a great view of the golf course (which Tobey's 19th Hole does, but from the eastern side) as well as across the ways to Balboa Hospital. The western views in the park feature the downtown skyline.


She was able to park decently and it was nice that it was not crowded there at all.

Above, a view of the El Cortez hotel from afar.

Planes bound for Lindbergh Field flew overhead every few minutes.




Over yonder...the skyline and the newer Balboa Hospital.

The west end of the golf course.

Our early lunch.

The tortilla wraps were both spinach. Both had chipotle mayo dressing by choice.

We had the turkey wrap which was juicy, tasty and full of vegetables and provolone cheese along with one ingredient Bert didn't ask for but it was put in without his approval. This unwarranted addition added an extra dollar but we didn't know until we opened it up and then looked at the fucking receipt. Oh well, it still tasted good but it was a bit sneaky if you ask me.

TC's vegetable wrap which she really liked except for the jalapeno slices, which were removed. Olives, onions, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes and cheese. This was pretty healthy.

Bite this.

On our way down the hill, we asked TC to slow down so I could take a photo of this lovely view.

It was time to get back to Coronado Spice and Tea which we saw earlier that morning. It was finally open and TC really wanted to try a particular item.

Here is a video I found online of someone driving around in circles at the park.

By the way, the bathrooms there are grody, according to Bert. He was brave enough to use it; I held mine in, ha ha.

The park by the way is not fancy  but it served its purpose and it seemed pretty safe at least in the daytime. There are picnic tables and benches for folks to enjoy their lunch or snacks. There's a lot of grass area and shade plus views! We also saw a hipster couple with their pet black cat on a leash! I've seen cats on leashes online but never in person! That was kind of funny seeing that.

I don't know about you but when I first saw the older location of Anakin's, I thought of Anakin Skywalker. Anakin isn't a common name. I wonder if the owner of that fruteria was a Star Wars Prequels fan?

Plus Clone Wars:

Ugh, I absoluted HATED  Hayden Christensen's wooden acting in the prequels.  I also hated how George Lucas inserted young Anakin in the ending of the remastered "Return of the Jedi". Total travesty. WTFF.  He also inserted Qui-gon Jin (a younger Liam Neeson).

THIS is the original ending with Sebastian Shaw (who portrayed the unmasked Darth Vader/ghost of Anakin Skywalker):

Yesss, the Ewoks are singing the Celebration song in the background for the original version!

"Yub Nub! Eechoppa yub nub!"

Anikin's Fruit & Deli
1015 25th St.
San Diego, CA zip
(619) 232-8810

www.anakinsfruitanddeli.com; fb page + reviews from yelp

Now that I know that the coupon is "iffy" over here, I wouldn't bother using it again although we wouldn't mind going back to their tortas, other wraps and drinks.

2 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

We drove through that park, passed the Anakin's barber shop and saw all those solar panels in that parking lot on Monday! The wraps look good/fresh. I'll keep this in mind when driving through again, soon...

caninecologne said...

The park is a hidden gem. It's pretty low key.

I was surprised to see those solar panels. It kinds of dwarfs the parking lot in my opinion. The lot is also cramped and although there was one space, TC couldn't negotiate it, plus the space was tight. Hopefully you and the mister can try this place out eventually.