"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, March 25, 2013

West Coast Cafe

Our day in IB wasn't done quite yet...

We saw this cool wave mural while walking back to our car.

It reminded me of this classic scene from "Fast Times":

In the TV version, perpetually stoned surfer Jeff Spicoli says, "Those guys are FOOLS!" At least it wasn't homophobic like his original choice of words. I didn't know it until years later, but the interviewer, Stu Nahan was a real sports commentator. When he died last year, I recognized his name in the obituaries (hmmmm, wasn't that the guy who interviews Spicoli on the beach?). It's funny to see Sean Penn in his FIRST role...from Spicoli to Oscar winner!

Our next stop was less than a minute away...

So around the corner we went, back to Palm Avenue. The cafe was the last red awning in that little building.

I read online that they had affogato, which I was craving.


I had a chat with the lady at the counter and she sadly informed that they no longer served the affogato (a scoop of gelato with espresso poured over it) because the people there (meaning in IB) didn't really order it. I was disappointed but not deterred. I still wanted something cold and with chocolate, so I ordered an iced mocha. The woman said she used to order her gelato from a place in Coronado but didn't remember the name.

It was dim inside with a few folks taking advantage of the free wi-fi. The artwork on the walls were from locally based artists. I also saw a few shelves that had hand made jewelry, photo prints, and cards, also from local artists.

The iced mocha was just okay. Nothing too special and nothing I'd order again. I thought it was kind of watery and had too much milk in it.  I had my hopes high for the nonexistent affogato. We ended up staying a few minutes at their tables outside before heading back home.

My favorite iced coffee is from Caffe Calabria in North Park (with no flies, ha ha), but that's probably because their coffee is of better quality than this. It still hit the spot after walking on the IB pier.

West Coast Cafe
208 Palm Ave
Imperial Beach, CA 91932
(619) 429-0340

www.westcoast-cafe.net (note - their website is outdated)

The next day's lunch was spent with MFH and a former colleague in North Park....

No comments: