
(image from adamventures)
Remember when that used to be a big catchphrase when the Simpsons first came on the air?
The word seems to be associated with "surf culture" but had it's origins as a silly (and most likely made up) greeting by a white man playing stereotyped Indian chief Thunderthud on the old 50's tv show, "Howdy Doody". Nice going for cultural sensitivity there. The phrase was later popularized by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...
In this case, Cow-a-bunga (hyphens are theirs not mine) refers to a little ice cream shop at the foot of the pier which is run by Fabrice and Nelly Gaunin, a French couple (along with their two teenage kids, who were there at the shop the day we went). The owners moved to San Diego in 1994 and opened up the shop in 2000. According to the article I read (linked at the end of this post), the owner was a former chef at the Marriott but switched over to ice cream at the urging of his young children.

When googling ice cream in the IB area, Oasis and Cow-a-bunga popped up. When I read that the ice cream was homemade here as well, I figured we had to give it a try.

TC was more in the mood for ice cream than I was. I wanted my dessert somewhere else actually. Gotta maximize our time in IB!

Their many flavors...

I want to try the Mexican Coffee Mocha next time. I didn't see it that day, but I've read that their Dulce de Leche was also excellent...

So much decor crammed into this tiny standing room only shop...

More goodies...

Below the wrapped pastries in the case (not pictured) was the owner's collection of cow-related memorabilia and figurines.

TC's choice for today, the Rainbow Sherbet in a cone...

I'm not much of a sherbet fan, but I can see why TC loves it. It's got three flavors in one and they're all fruity.

They also serve yogurt, coffee and tea here as well if you're not in the mood for ice cream.
Outside the shop are tables where customers can relax and enjoy their treats. It wasn't busy the day we went, which was great. It was a nice day to people watch (if there were crowds) and enjoy the weather...
Cow-a-bunga Ice Cream
10 Evergreen Ave
Imperial Beach, CA 91932
(619) 628-0508
They do not have a website but here are the reviews from yelp, a short blurb from the SD Reader, and a informative article from 2006 (note - prices listed are outdated):
Imperially Good Ice Cream at Cow a Bunga" (SanDiego.com, 8/31/2006)
That was TC's dessert. Next would be our attempt for my sweets fix...


No comments:
Post a Comment