
which was held at the corner of Saturn and Coronado at Egger Park. Many of the district's students were there to perform their spin of native Philippine festival dances...
TC didn't go with her middle school that day since she had dance practice (she ended up going later as a performer with the dance troupe)...

We ended up seeing a few folks from back in the day (an old high school friend), a few of my former mentors and organizers of the event.
FILAMEDA, one of the organizations I first joined when I became an educator nearly two decades ago...


In high school, I had the opportunity to take Filipino language classes (they originated in our district more than 30 years ago in only a few select schools), but chose to take Spanish instead. Now TC is learning the language since Bert and I don't speak it. We do understand it to some degree but not enough to speak conversationally. Other than bad words, numbers up to four, body parts, and food, that's the extent of my knowledge. I'm glad they offer it since it is a way for TC to learn about the culture and language of the Philippines.
Of course there were food booths, but only a few. Shave ice, kettle corn (they also sold fresh coconuts with the juice inside).

This Mexican food booth had mega long lines later. Their burritos and bacon wrapped hot dogs were quite popular!
banner



Next to it was Gabina's Cuisine, a vendor that sells at the Otay Ranch farmer's market. I got a combo for Bert and I to share...


Combo - Rice and pancit with chicken adobo (she gave me an extra piece because one leg was pretty small to begin with), and three lumpia. I got five more lumpia for $2 extra.

We stayed the whole event so we could watch TC and the troupe perform. Here's one of the hotdogs we had later that afternoon...

Plus one of the coconut drinks that TC and her friend had that day (2 for $7)...

Later that afternoon across the street...homemade ice cream at a South Bay institution...


2 comments:
What? I had no idea that park was named after the Eggers! Looked like a fun event.
Hi darlene - me neither. They owned a lot of the land in the area, including the land that St. Charles church was built on. I believe that general area is called the Egger Highlands.
it was fun watching the middle and high schools perform. too bad tc coudln't do be with her school but she got to dance later.
Post a Comment