"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, March 22, 2013

K-Pasta

So far TC and I have been enjoying our vacation.

I vowed for us to visit different places daily and it was nice to not have to drive far this particular day...

Imperial Beach is only twenty minutes away from Chula Vista and it's in an area that is still pretty laid back and unpretentious.

After months of driving by this place and noticing the new outdoor seating area, we finally got a chance to visit...


According to an article I read, K-Pasta opened up back in Summer of 2011. We'd always wondered about this small house that was converted into a restaurant.

We weren't sure if the name was a play on words with "Que pasa" (Mexican slang for "What's up").  In any case, we were glad that we came..

There are a few tables inside but with the new patio, we opted to enjoy the weather and sit outside after placing our orders. There was a bit of a military presence here since there is a naval base close by as well the one in Coronado Island.

First you choose your pasta, then your sauce and if you want, your choice of protein ($7.95 for the pasta, and up to $2.50 for any add ons like chicken, meatballs, or roasted vegetables).

The pastas are made fresh and today's selection included: spinach, beet, multi-grain, angel hair, a gluten free one, and  la Diabla (a spicy one).

They also choose their ingredients from vendors like Suzie's Farms which is local to I.B., along with Eben-Haezer Poultry Ranch from Ramona, and Mad Lab Craft Brewing (a quick check on yelp showed that it was the 92154 zip code and that it's located in Ocean View Hills in Otay Mesa, what???? Now I gotta go check that out!). It's great to see this place use local companies, so yay for that.

Next time we will have to try their Banoffee pie! We were only intending to have lunch here and dessert somewhere else.

Our original seats, but we moved after it got too hot on the edge.

Our waters came in Mason jars...cute.

Our mouthwatering entrees:

TC's multigrain pasta with parmesan garlic butter sauce and a smoked mozzarella stuffed meatball with a side of garlic bread. This was her second choice of pasta since they ran out of angelhair. Both of our entrees came with a side salad and a light citrusy dressing.

I had the beet pasta with the mushroom butter sauce along with the same meatball. The sauce was a bit rich with all that butter, but man was it really delicious! I will have to try something a bit more 'heart healthy' next time and there definitely will be a next time!

Awww yeah....this was possible the best meatball I've ever had. It was seasoned very well and had oozy and melty cheese within. The pasta portion and meatball was pretty hefty and I saved half intending to share it with Bert later. TC reminded me that he had given up beef for Lent so therefore he wouldn't be able to have it but could she have the leftovers instead, haha.

You can really tell that the pasta is housemade. None of that boxed stuff here. And that sauce....OMG, I want to try all of their sauces now (except for the curry) and all flavors of their pasta.

I think we might have a new favorite place to go for lunch. The service was top notch for a casual place. From the lady at the front register to our server who was so very kind and attentive. By the time TC and I left, it was packed inside with more people migrating out to the patio. It's great to see local businesses like this do well.

K-Pasta
775 13th St.
Imperial Beach, 91932
(619) 934-3133

k-pasta.com

Reviews:
Imperial Beach Patch (grand opening was back in June 2011)
yelp
trip advisor

A quick visit to the pier and then it was time for dessert!

9 comments:

caninecologne said...

hi dennis, i think you'd really like this place!!!!

Jinxi said...

Awesome! This place reminds me of an upgraded Pastalini (not sure if you've been there, they also do the choose your pasta and sauce and meats-n-veggies). I love homemade pasta and the pretty colors :)

caninecologne said...

hi jinxi - i've not heard of pastalini, but i like the concept. this place is really cute and won't break the bank either. :)

Mary said...

I read about this place and wanted to visit but haven't had the chance since IB is so far away from us! If we go on another Stardust run we'll definitely be checking this out. I like that they make everything there! And that meatball looks to die for!

caninecologne said...

hi mary, if you do go down to IB, check it out. you would love that meatball, omg, so very much. since you'd be down in the area, also try out oasis ice cream on saturn and coronado.

Mary said...

oh yes! i want to try oasis, too, i've seen plenty of posts about it but you know.... ib.... someday! the cheese in the meatball is what sold me haha

caninecologne said...

yeah man, that smoked mozz made that meatball stand out!

Cathy Doe said...

Oh yes, homemade everything. Must try. Thanks for this post.

caninecologne said...

hi cathy - i still have to post visit. next time i go, i will try a sandwich.