
Yaysssssss...Prince with Mary J. Blige! And singing "Nothing Compares to You" (way better than Sinead O'Connor ever could! That was way better than seeing all those other crappy acts that rely on Autotune!
So, while the husband and child were watching TV, I got started on our dessert...
I wanted to make palitaw again, and hopefully much better than last year's version. Palitaw can also be spelled as "palitao" and is pronounced as "pah-lee-tow" ("tow" rhymes with "ow!").
Here's a few of the ingredients (the sugar is MIA)...

Like Arroz Caldo, palitaw was one of the special things my mom would make for the New Year. I would always look forward to these treats as a kid and now, although I can make it any time I want, it doesn't seem the same unless it's made for New Year's Eve.
Below is the coconut, sugar and sesame seed mixture. I cheated by using sweetened flaked coconut because I kinda didn't want to grate a coconut myself! That's the old school way, yo'. But if you're in a pinch like me, flaked coconut will have to do.

Mix one cup of rice flour with 3/4 cup of water. Make sure to add the water gradually. Last year, I dumped it all together and it wasn't that great. I think I added too much water so I added a tiny bit more rice flour and mixed it until the dough was soft and workable. Much much better!

Shape into balls and flatten into disc. Drop into boiling water.

When they float, scoop 'em out. Let the discs cool down before covering with the coconut/sugar/sesame seed mixture.
I really liked how this turned out this year! The mochi discs were so soft, like a baby's butt, haha!

Palitaw
Ingredients
1 cup of sweet rice flour
3/4 cup water (more or less depending on the consistency of the dough)
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup sesame seeds
(You can tailor the proportions of the coconut, sugar, and sesame seeds to your liking. I ended up having way too much of this and may do another batch tomorrow to use it up)
Directions
Mix water into the dough gradually
Shape into balls
Drop into boiling water
When the balls float, they are done
Let it cool down
Roll the palitaw into the coconut, sugar and sesame seed mixture
Here's the version I made last year...
And that folks, is the last dessert I made in 2012!

Remember to eat twelve grapes, have coins in your pocket and open up your windows!
Happy New Year Everyone!
*Grapes or other round fruits are for "prosperity", coins represent "wealth" and opening up the windows "lets in" the New Year. Well, we are freezing here so our windows are staying closed tonight!


2 comments:
Ooh that looks really similar to making tang yuan. Happy New Year CC! :)
Happy New Year to you too! :)
Post a Comment