"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Recent lunches

A few weeks ago during my winter break, everybody in the house got sick...

That meant it was time for soup...


This was just a simple noodle soup with chicken broth, ginger, sliced zucchini, carrots, and napa cabbage...

Spinach was also added to the soup at the last minute, making this a pretty leafy and nutritious soup.

I used rice vermicelli noodles for the soup which TC really enjoyed. With her recent addition of braces, soups were easier for her to eat.

On another day we went to Pho Hiep Grill Chateau in Eastlake...

This place has been going strong for about nearly three years. I noticed they've made some "concessions" to their menu

such as "orange chicken" (WTF), and "pan fried pho" (a bigger WTF) - That's actually on their other menu.  I could never bring myself to order the pan fried pho, but I did order an iced coffee, making sure to tell the server to go really light on the condensed milk. I noticed over here that they really over sweeten the iced coffee. I prefer mine to be bitter and dark. Like my cold, black heart. Just kidding.

TC had the pho with flank and brisket (not pictured) while I ordered some rolls to share. This was the new "Grilled Shrimp Paste with Sugarcane" spring roll.

It was "okay" and not jump up for joy exciting. The other roll I order was was Nem Nuong (not pictured), the grilled pork, which is nowhere near as good as Brodard's, but still, I craved it.

Below, a taco plate from Rubio's (utilizing a $5 coupon I got for buying $50 worth of giftcards last Christmas). These were the new Mango Habanero Grilled Mahi Mahi tacos.

The mango salsa had a mild kick to it. The habaneros were not that strong and the fish a decent portion, I ended up paying a few dollars more ($5 doesn't get you very far at Rubio's) to make up the difference. It was worth a shot to try this new taco plate.

I'm glad we're not sick anymore. It sucks being sick during vacation and not being able to enjoy tasting your food!

January is halfway done. So many posts that are still on the backburner. I swear that I'll finish our Canada trip posts one day!

No comments: