"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, January 05, 2013

Utage

[Update - Closed as of Spring 2015. Replaced by a birria restaurant]

Yesterday TC and I were out doing errands and I thought it would be nice to pick up some mochi cakes at Hogetsu for KD's upcoming birthday foodcrawl...

Unfortunately, Hogetsu was closed but we thought we'd make the most of our locale by having lunch at a nearby restaurant...


Which was not the Kaga Sushi, which always looks like it's closed but it isn't. I can't wait to read Kirk's post on this place.

We didn't go to Panda Imperial either. I haven't been to Utage in years. It's been so long, that it was before I started blogging (pre-2006). Bert and I used to go here a lot before we got our house and before TC was born. This place has been here forever.

We were seated by the rice paper covered windows, near the sushi bar.

We noticed the private enclosed room in the back. You have to take off your shoes first. It would be perfect for larger parties of folks.

We'd both been craving soup so that is what we ordered.

TC really needed something soft since her back molars were still hurting from the spacers.

She will be getting Phase 2 of her braces next week so the spacers will help them place the brackets on the back molars. Ouch. Poor kid.

Our soups - My Chanpon in the front and TC's Tempura Udon in the back.

Our server was really nice, an older lady. She was so attentive to us and very very gracious. A few regulars were also there, greeted personally by her and the sushi chef.

TC liked the broth and noodles, which were easy for her to chew without difficulty. She would have preferred for the tempura to be separate so that it didn't get soggy. She thinks like me.

The only other time I've had Chanpon was at Gunco Ramen (or is it Kanpai? They're both connected!).

I love how this soup has everything! Pork, chicken, Krab, clams (three!), one mussel, two tail on shrimp, a couple of tinier shrimp, squid rings, and fish cake. I loved the noodles as well, with enough chew and no horrid sogginess at all.

This soup was quite filling and I'm glad that we had our lunch here.

Earlier, TC and I both noticed this place as we walked from Hogestsu to Utage. I know it's hard to see the crude writing on the fluorescent green signs, but one read, "Korean Ramen" with a price point, and the other "Gangnam Style Ramen"! Wut?  Is this even a restaurant? There was no signage. We saw tables but it appeared to be closed and dark inside. Hmmmm...something to look into next time.

The "secret" restaurant is next to Steve's Beauty Salon.

For a moment, we both thought that the restaurant or whatever it is, was a part of the salon! You know, have your hair done, then have some noodles afterwards. Hey, it's a concept that could work.

Utage
1200 3rd Ave
Chula Vista, CA 91911
(619) 425-8980

Aaaand since we were down here, I could not resist the lure of the other location of an ice cream place we recently visited.

No comments: