"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, January 05, 2013

Street Side Thai Kitchen

Poor TC had spacers put in her back molars a few days ago. Our original plan for lunch was Sicilian Thing Pizza. Unfortunately, pizza didn't seem like a good prospect for her...

(not TC's mouth)

She wanted to go somewhere that offered soup or noodles...

Located a few doors down from Heaven Sent Desserts is one of the few Thai restaurants in North Park.

My neighbor had mentioned being curious about Thai food, and since this was within walking distance, thought we'd try it out.

Nice decor inside. Dark in the back where we sat though.

Their menu...

You can also see their lunch specials menu online here:

TC did not order their soup because she doesn't like coconut milk or spiciness. She didn't want to try the won ton soup either.  Everyone got a lunch special, except for me. Those who ordered the specials all got this lemongrass soup with vegetables...

Our entrees:

TC's friend's Fried Rice with Beef. All specials come with the soup, plus salad and an eggroll with dipping sauce.

TC's....(sigh), Pad Thai with Tofu (which was overly rubbery and not good at all). She was able to "gum the noodles". The flavor was really toned down and very very bland.

My neighbor's Wild Curry (made without coconut milk).

The vegetables included broccoli, beans, green pepper, peas, mushrooms, and basil. Her curry was so fragrant and had some kick to it.

I got a few things. One was the Papaya Salad. The menu lists it as having crushed peanuts. These were whole. There were two shrimp in the dish which were plump. I would have preferred the funkier dried shrimp. The sauce was on the sweet side with a tiny bit of heat. I thought it was very refreshing, but also toned down. I remember burning my lips with the papaya salad at Tamarind Thai and Sab e Lee.

When I saw E-Saan sausage on the menu, I knew I had to try it. I liked that fresh ginger was served with this but was disappointed that there was no cabbage wedge. This was the first time I've had this type of sausage without it. This was ordered with sticky rice (you can see the little steamer basket in the photo).

It was a decent lunch and a bit of an intro to Thai cuisine for our friends. They'll have to try larb and some othe noodle dishes next time. Maybe at a different Thai place though.

Who else went to Street Side Thai?

Mary went here back in 2011. MFH also likes this place but she's not a blogger, so...

Side Street Thai Kitchen
3025 University Ave
San Diego, CA 92104
(619) 228-9208

www.streetsidethaikitchen.com

Lunch was not complete without dessert, which will be forthcoming...

No comments: