
In the background, you can see one of Portland's many distinctive bridges... the Fremont Bridge, which is the "newest" bridge (built in 1973 and spans over the Willamette River). We would cross that bridge later that day to get into Washington state.
Two blocks away from Lovejoy Baker is Tanner Springs Park, a "minipark" of sorts within the city. According to my friend, designers of the park wanted to mimic the original wetlands of the area and even uses native plants and trees to recreate the local ecosystem.The park was meant to be an tranquil oasis and used reclaimed railroad tracks set on end (seen above and below) and known as "The Artwall".

Above, running parallel to the boardwalk is a fence made from "Ipe" a type of tropical wood found in the Caribbean.
More info on Tanner Springs Park here and here.

I liked this leaf shaped cover. You can see how dry it is underneath it. The rain was a

As we walked around, she pointed out her favorite places to eat and shop. I don't remember all of the names, but one of them was Olympic Provisions, an upscale charcuterie. Everything in the Pearl District is upscale, which is one reason why I don't like it as much as the other outlying neighborhoods of Portland.

At her condo, we viewed the landscape of the Pearl - both industrial and brand new. The red bridge is the Broadway Bridge (1913), a rusty red drawbridge which transitions Broadway Street from the North-South (West side) to to the East-West (East side).

More views of the Willamette River, including a freight ship...

For fun, here's a "Portlandia" skit that kind of spoofs Tanner Springs Park ("Lipsy Park"). They talk about how the trees would be "indigenous to the area". At 2:28 you can see comedian/actor Fred Armisen playing guitar in the park! When we first saw the skit, TC totally recognized the walkway!
"I'm a grown man, I still play with a kite! I must be some kind of idiot!"
My friend's condo/loft conversion was amazing and was like being in a very swanky and hip model home. Floor to ceiling glass windows. Dark hardwood floors. High ceilings. Gossamer white gauzy curtains as a room divider.Her decorating style was very minimalist and industrial yet with a feminine touch. Lots of white, beveled glass, strong, clean shapes, and mirrors. I totally wish I could show photos but out of respect for her privacy, you'll just have to use your imagination.
She was such a gracious host.We wished we could stay longer and go on the tour of the Hills that she wanted to give us, but we already had plans to check out a few places across the state line...


No comments:
Post a Comment