
...and yes, it really is located next to a bus stop!
OMG, I'm already planning our next visit there!
Located three blocks away from the beach on Garnet (between Cass and Dawes Streets) is this cute shop with the best flavor options available!

The owner Clint Legnani is from Bologna, Italy where there is an actual GELATO UNIVERSITY. No joke. It's a one week program and cost about $800. Got a plane ticket to Italy? I would like earn a masters degree please.

Clint, who was there that day, is a very friendly guy. His family owns a gelateria in Italy and has over 150 different flavors. He rotates the flavors since his case only holds 18 bins.

The BEST thing about this place is that you can get THREE FLAVORS NO MATTER WHAT SIZE SCOOP YOU CHOOSE! Most places will only let you have one flavor per scoop, so you have to really really like those flavors. I like that you don't have to commit to two or three scoops just to try different flavors. They also serve acai bowls (never had one ever) and sweet and savory crepes in which you can choose a combination of fillings of your choice for one price.

Their flavors below. The Peanut Butter seemed to be really popular since it was nearly all gone!

Bert had his eye on the gelatos made with alcohol, of course.

Now this is awesome, the "Guilt Graph" which depicts number of calories of different types of foods, percentages of calories from fat, carbs, and protein and where gelato lies on the graph (it's quite low actually).

I believe the food item on the high end of the graph was some sort of peanut butter milk shake from Cold Stone or some sort of fas food.

We all got smalls but we all got three flavors each! Yessssss!!!

The only thing I didn't like (picture-taking wise) was the big waffle cookie that the server stuck in the middle of each cup. It overwhelmed the little cup and kind of obscured the views of the different flavors.
This was TC's - She had Strawberry, Venetian Gondola (caramel with dark chocolate ribbons), and Stracciatella (vanilla and chocolate with chocolate chips). She enjoyed the strawberry the best.

I ended up taking my waffle cookie off. My flavors were Twilight Eclipse (ha ha, I HAD to get this one, being a TwiHard), Extra Nutty Hazelnut (the lighter colored one), and Pistachio (made with imported Italian pistachio paste). Every flavor was amazing. The Twilight Ecipse had a dark chocolate base mixed with hazelnut butter and had chopped hazelnuts within. It tasted just like Nutella!

Lastly, Bert's cup which had Red Trolley Ale, Stone IPA, and Espresso. I had a few tiny tastes of his and you could really taste the beers in there! It wasn't overwhelming but I would probably like it more if the flavors were stouts or porters.

Bert's mocha...

Their flat screen was showing our new favorite cartoon (thanks for the tip Superman!), "The Regular Show", found on the Cartoon Network. The blue jay is Mordecai and his side kick (not shown) is Rigby the Raco

Map of Italy depicting landmarks and festivals (complete with a key).

These tiny snack sized jars of Nutella were so cute! They look like they would only be good for one serving.

The bus stop outside...

Service here was super friendly. The girl working the counter was so nice making sure everyone had everything we needed. Lots of walk in traffic and lots of happy folks and kids here!
Across the street was the bugrer joint, Five Guys, but I was more interested in their John Lennon mural than their burgers.

We walked east on Garnet to seek another place I'd read about. It was also an excuse to walk off our calories. As we traversed the street, I admired these Tiffany blue decorative cement blocks. Very mod.

The wall is for this Escrow business, which has some really cool retro font.

We also saw this sidewalk sign advertising various hair removal treatments...

Uh....MANZILIAN? #$%#@!!!!!!
Who else went to Gelato Bus Stop?
Jinxi of Jinxi Eats really likes this place!
AdvancedGourmet has photos of the crepe machines in action ad also has a cool article featuring an in-depth interview with the owner, Clint Legnani.
Reviews:
yelp
Gelato Bus Stop
1001 Garnet Ave
San Diego, CA 92109
(619) 578-3828
sdgelato.com
Here's the gelato machine in action. The owner is making Venetian Gondola. You can skim through it since it's not terribly exciting but you do get to see the process if that's your thing.
Who else went to Gelato Bus Stop?
Jinxi of Jinxi Eats really likes this place!
AdvancedGourmet has photos of the crepe machines in action...and this cool article featuring an in-depth interview with the owner, Clint Legnani.
Here are the positive reviews from yelp.
A word to the wise, parking near the beach sucks. We parked several blocks east, near some apartment building. Don't even bother trying to park on Garnet Ave itself! Despite the crappy traffic and parking here, I would gladly brave it again just to go here!


2 comments:
oo looks like they've got some new flavors - I didn't see any beer flavors last time I was there. Looks like it's time for a revisit :P
Yes, a revisit is definitely in order! I want to go again, like this weekend, haha! I like that the guy rotates his flavors but I'm sure he keeps the main ones.
i like going with my husband and daughter because we can maximize the flavor options! :)
Post a Comment