"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Bridge of the Gods mural

Since we were right next to the park and bridge, we made a quick pit stop at Eastwind...

You can see the mural in the parking lot of the neighboring Charburger restaurant. I especially wanted to see the mural, located on the south pier...

The mural is a depiction of the ancient "Bridge of the Gods" painted by Larry Kangas (2002). On the far right (which is cut off) is Lewis and Clark. You can see the landscape with the old "land bridge" of the Native American legend.

The modern truss cantilever bridge connects Cascade Locks, Oregon to Skamania County, Washington.

It was so damn cold and the rain and wind was freezing.The rain started to get worse and I didn't want to ruin my non-waterproof camera so we took these quick snaps and hauled ass...

I'm sure this would have been much prettier on  a sunnier and warmer day...

Y'all come back now...

Back to the Columbia Gorge Highway...

One last look...

More waterfalls...

I think that might have been Multnomah Falls, but I'm not sure. There were so many that I lost track...

Here is a link to a video of the making of the Bridge of the Gods in 1928. Very edjumacational...

And for the history buffs, more info on the Bridge here and here.

If you just stumbled upon my blog today, Day 9 of our Portland 2012 trip can be read in this order:

The Pearl District
Lovejoy Bakery
Tanner Springs Park & Views from the9th Floor
On our way to Stevenson, WA
Bridge of the Gods
Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center
Eastwind Drive-In
and this post.

Our marathon trip was almost over. We still had a bit more exploring to do for our last day...

No comments: