
A few days ago, it was all about the Goulash baby...
Here are most of the ingredients, some of which were not used (tomato paste) or not pictured (flour)...

I had to cut the beef stew meat into smaller pieces, which I always hate because I dislike handling raw meat. It's a necessary evil. I also used less meat than the recipe called for.
You start off by sauteeing the onions in a little bit of olive oil. I also threw in the minced garlic.
While the onions and garlic are sizzling away, coat the meat with flour, sweet and hot paprika, along with salt and pepper. When the onions are wilted, start browning the meat.

The mixture before I clapped on the lid...

The end result...

Served up with pappardelle noodles:

There are tons of different versions of beef goulash out there. I kind of mixed and matched with what ingredients I had on hand. The only thing I really needed to get today was the meat and the canned stewed tomatoes, although I probably do need to get more sweet paprika. I used quite a bit this past week experimenting with these recipes. I don't know how "authentic" this is, but the bottom line is that the food tastes good to me and my family. That's what really matters.
Beef Goulash
(I combined ingredients from several recipes I found online)
Ingredients:
2 lbs beef stew meat
2-3 onions, sliced (I used one red and two white)
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp sweet paprika
1 tbsp hot paprika
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp marjoram (this was the first time I've ever used this herb)
28 oz of beef broth (you could also use just water and red wine)
1 14 oz can of stewed tomatoes (you could also use fresh)
1 sliced green bell pepper (I used a red one since I had it on hand)
2 carrots, peeled and chunked
1/2 cup sour cream
fresh dill, for garnish
*There was one version that called for Worcestershire sauce, but I didn't use it or have it
Directions:
- Saute onions and garlic until fragrant and wiled
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, sweet and hot paprika, salt and pepper and dredge the beef stew chunks until coated.
- Add the beef stew meat to the pot and lightly brown the meat on all sides.
- Add the beef broth, tomatoes, bell pepper, carrots and simmer on low for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the sour cream last.
- Garnish with fresh dill.

Humminah....This will probably last for about two or three days max, then it's on to another recipe. I bought one bunch of leeks and trying to figure out how to use it.


No comments:
Post a Comment