"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Caffe Calabria again...

While not totally full from our lunch earlier at Lil b's, we still wanted something small and sweet...

such as these tiny little sandwiches...

which we enjoyed by the window as we people watched...

Cathy got a double espresso with foam and whipped cream. I was boring and got the same old drink I always get, the Cafe Mocha...iced.

Their dessert offerings were slim. Biscotti, rugalach, madeleines, baklava, one lone cookie and muffin and the mini nutella sandwich...

I love seeing this cool oven which is only fired up at night.



As you can see, the sandwich was pressed like road kill but instead of blood and guts oozing out, it was delicious chocolate hazelnut spread.

Cathy's lovely coffee...

I liked the crisp crust. Just look at that Nutella oozing out...

They had no plastic knives so Cathy "cut it" with her trusty badass Swiss Army knife.

The chopped hazelnuts in this mini sweet bite made the sandwich so much better!

Previous visits to Caffe Calabria:

With Cathy and again with Bertback in November 2012 and Cathy's post where she also went back the day after with her husband!

It's always a good time spent with Cathy who was also kind enough to share a few items with me:

I've already tried the French Fried Onions which provided crispety crunchy goodness on top of my recently made pancit palabok! Yes, I know that's not a traditional topping, but I just had to try it and by golly it works! (slaps knee)

Hmmm, fried garlic, crushed fried pork rinds, French fried onions and hard boiled eggs.

Let's put it this way, I feel sorry for Bert tonight.

Dutch Oven time!!! Ha ha!

The 12 Grain Crispy Roll was also a very light snack. I will recruit TC to make the"Tangy Italian" spaghetti meal in a box this weekend, a childhood favorite of Cathy's. All I needed to get was a small can of tomato paste, which I now have...

p.s.
I have never done a 'Dutch oven' and I hope you realize I was being sarcastic! You sick bastards puppies!

2 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

Ha-that was my backup badass Swiss Army knife. The 'good' one was left in the truck when we went into the Stadium for the Holiday Bowl Game. This was a really nice treat and so civilized to be able to sit down to enjoy.

caninecologne said...

As civilized as we could get using a pocket knife, ha ha. Thanks, that was so cool seeing you whip that out!