
If you're a female in your late 30's, you would probably remember what Dittos were...
I think it was a mostly SoCal thing, Dittos Jeans. I remember my first pair back in 1979. I was 10 years old and my mom bought me a light blue cordury pair with the notorious "saddleback" design. I was in 5th grade. I had another blue jeans pair with two tiny pockets in the front which I paired up with my blue Hang Ten satin baseball jacket. Yeah, man, Dittos jeans were The Shit back then. They were the "in-jeans" before Jordache, Gloria Vanderbilt, Chic, Chemin de Fer and Vidal Sassoon and all that came along.
Yesterday, TC and I went out with our neighbor and her older daughter. The girls wanted to go thrift shopping so we checked out Thrift Trader in North Park. The other location is on Garnet in PB and there is also an affiliate store on Newport Ave in OB called "2 Dollar Thrill".

TC and her friend were able to find some good deals and cute styles.

I was diggin' the music they were playing. It was a mix of 80's rock and new wave. Here's a partial list:
"Walking in L.A." - Missing Persons
"Heaven and Hell" - Black Sabbath (with Ronnie James Dio, which makes this post Ozzy Osbourne)
"Cum on Feel the Noize" - Quiet Riot (this is actually a Slade Cover).
Thank goodness it wasn't hot like summertime. There's no AC in here and it can smell pretty rank!
I wasn't planning on getting anything, but I couldn't help it. I saw a cute persimmon tee with a gold guitar design. Plus, I couldn't pass up that groovy Dittos shirt with the multicolored stripes. You know, the length of the shirt is cut pretty high since they were originally made to be worn with high rise jeans. I'm used to wearing low rise jeans, so I'm going to have to layer this with something so my gut doesn't hang out, haha!

Now if I can only find a pair of vintage high waisted Dittos jeans like these and the outfit will be complete! Gawd, how tight were these!?

That's how we wore 'em back then!
In 2007, the Dittos brand was resurrected (thanks to google, I read up on this stuff). Instead of being $15 like they used to cost in the 70's, the newer versions were going for $100, which is considered lower price for premium denim (7's, Citizens of Humanity and Joe's go for $150 and up). I remember my Dittos had two little pockets in the front like these (below). I think this is a new style, not vintage. I do like that butt detail though! Not quite the saddleback design but still eye catching. The high waist with the longer flare, combined with wedges made chicks look super tall and leggy.

The other two items were this Julius shirt (with a guitar!),

and another vintage item, this polyester knit cherry red sweater with lacy details.

The neck collar had an interesting dot like edging. There's a lacy V-detail in the front as well as the length of the sleeves.

Again, the length of this was quite short. It was made in the 70's when pants were higher, like up to your bellybutton. So I would have to wear high waisted jeans (which I don't have) or my pencil skirts (which are high waisted).

A good wash got rid of that thrift store smell. TC's friend was the one who found this sweater but it was too big for her. I really liked the details and the retro look.
Here's a vintage advertisement featuring the cast of "Annie" modeling Dittos (circa late 70's). Look at the top row, at the girl right at the top middle. Does she look familiar to you?

It's Molly Ringwald!
One last look at these iconic camel-toe inducing jeans...

For that sprayed on look.
Thrift Trader
3939 Iowa St.
San Diego, CA 92104
(619) 282-7283
www.thrifttrader.org
The label:
www.dittosbrand.com
(I just checked their lookbook and they don't have any of their saddleback flares. Boo. Just supertight skinnies that would make my legs looks like ginormous sausages)
More info and fashion blogger posts:
A funny but nostalgic thread on Ditto's Jeans
Ditto That! The New Forty
Little Orphan Annie Wears Dittos Jeans
Dittos - The Resurgence of an Age Old Brand
Up next - lunch down the street and around the corner!


2 comments:
Love.
This.
Post.
Total flashback! LOL!
OMFG! THANK YOU FOR NOTICING!!!!!!
Sheeyit. These retro posts take a lot of time to put up!
Hey, I wore that shirt today and had to layer it with a black tanktop. I didn't have highwaisted jeans though, but I kind of pulled the shirt down to stretch the length. it's polyester anyways! haha.
Post a Comment