
It was an Islander style eatery and I figured, I could get that kind of stuff down south. My original plan that day was for TC and I to have lunch at Nate's Garden Grill with TC, but after arriving there, didn't realize it was closed on Mondays, so....

TC wanted something Asian and thought it would be cool to try this place out, the place we know as the restaurant with the advertised "completed meal" photo ($4.64 for the record)...
Actually, here is the photo:

(photo from my "Donut Factory, parklet at Caffe Calabria, another Bunny Kitty mural, and Yog-Art" post, December 11, 2013)
We did NOT get the completed meal but yeah, you could say this was a good deal.
Junz is a few doors down from one of TC's faves, Yog-Art and the corner store that sells the most random crap ever. It's very bright and cheerful inside. The prices are very reasonable. They even offer half -orders of sushi, so if you don't want a full roll of eight pieces, you could just get four. The girl working the counter was really nice and patient while we made our selections. TC and I ended up sitting near the front window so we could have a prime people watching view of one of North Park's busiest intersections. One thing, their bathroom (singular) is on the grimy side. Shudder.



View near our window seats...



TC's rolls - the crab roll and California (only $3.50 each) while I ordered the saimin (ramen noodle soup) with only vegetables ($5.95). The crab roll was served warm and fried, covered with a thin tempura batter. I must have missed that on the menu since we were expecting a cold roll, but this was quite tasty and filling for TC (the one piece I had was pretty good).



The owner of Junz is Jun Hanaoka, also the owner of North Park Sushi & Grill right across the street, as well as South Bay sushi favorite, Hanaoka's (on Sweetwater Road).

I'm glad that we finally went to Junz, so thanks to TC for making the executive decision that day. Dessert woud be across the street at Hammond's. When looking at the menu board, I noticed something.
The prices were raised slightly. A flight of 3 mini scoops was now $3.99.

Compare that to a few weeks ago (older photo below) when the triple flight was $3.75. So now, instead of $1.25 each, the mini cones in the flights are now $1.33. Dagnabbit. Cathy was here recently with her husband and they were the new recipients of the price hike.

(photo taken on September 13 for my "Brunch at the expanded Hanna's Gourmet with MFH + Hammonds post)
This time, I noticed the framed placard on the wall. The various paintings I saw several weeks ago was an exhibit called "Assorted Flavors", featuring ice cream related art by twenty artist. It will be on display until October 7th. TC's favorite is the triple scoop cone piece with the slightly creepy white cats.




Gaaah....our duo of triple flights.

TC's - mango sorbet, marshmallow and vanilla chocolate chip:

My flight - Banana storm (banana ice cream with cookies and nut pieces) guava lychee and white pineapple sorbet,,,

While I liked all of the flavors, the sorbets were too airy, thin and watery to hold their shape in the cone. It was "crumbly" if that makes any sense. I will probably stick with the full fat ice creams since they are thicker and denser and you seemingly get more for your money.
Junz Teriyaki & BBQ
3010 University Ave
San Diego, CA 92104
(619) 260-8515
www.hanaoka-restaurant.com
Previous visit to Hammonds:
September 2014, just a couple of weeks ago with MFH
The ice cream flights are so popular here now that they now adverstise themselves as "Hammond's - Home of the Hammond's Flights" on their website. TC's friends are posting their pix on Instagram and such as well. Perhaps flights have now "jumped the shark"...
It's been great being on fall break with TC. We've tried a few new places already and visited old favorites, thanks to my stockpiled coupons. I love being out and about during lunch instead of cooped up at the office eating a boring PB & Nutella sandwich...


4 comments:
I wish more places would do ice cream flights! That's too bad about the price hike though
Hi Kirbie - Yes, I agree. The only other place I'd seen an ice cream flight was in Portland, OR. Even though the price was raised a tiny bit, every little bit does add up.
We always park around the block from Caffe Calabria and walk past all those places; Junz holds a curious grip on us each time...as does the random stuff store. We did finally make it to Hammonds and are so happy we did. Great ice cream and a great concept with those 'flights'...beer, wine, and now ice cream!
It's nice knowing that the owners also own Hanaoka's down south. That used to be one of my fave restaurants to go to when I was in college.
Glad you liked Hammonds altho' you and your husband were probably the first to experience their slight price hike
portland is ahead of the curve. they had ice cream flights during our trip in 2012; more pricy though.
the random store is hilarious! So much wierd crap in there. there's literally something for everyone.
Post a Comment