
Across the ways are the La Boheme condos. The small white building is Santos Market, a tiny ethnic market in the heart of North Park. In this business corner is Donut Factory.
I love their signage!

I've always wondered about this place but never thought to go in...until today.

Maybe they would have blueberry donuts!

The idea was to pick up a dessert somewhere and enjoy it at Caffe Calabria where I was hoping to get some affogato.

There were no blueberry items but the girl at the counter said they only had blueberry muffins.

The top rack caught my eye. This was the apple "burrito". The fruit burritos at Mary's in Santee are rolled then fried. These are actually folded like a realy burrito and fried.

I stuck with just the apple burrito for us to share.

I waited outside at the "parklet" while Bert and TC went in to order some dessert.

Well, blankety-doodle doo. Apparently, they don't serve affogatto before 5 pm!!! WTH?

The guy Bert asked didn't even know of that dessert because he usually works the early shift. Well, this kind of sucked. I think you should be able to have affogatto any time you want! Maybe they consider it a dinner type of dessert, who knows.
I took a few shots of the apple burrito at the parklet before we ventured off once more...

We ended up not eating this until the next day. I had a few bites and found that the tortilla or whatever they used to fold the apples was too thick. It was not really pleasant. I did like the sugar and cinnamon glaze on this though.
I thought this sign at a nearby Asian eatery was kind of funny. Completed? Also, the price point was so random.

TC really likes it here. I like the people watching aspect.

There are so many people from all walks of life who enter through these doors or pass by on the street. Very interesting indeed.
Bert and TC's cups...

Bert thought the chocolate coated sunflower seeds looked really neat so he got that as one of his toppings. We haven't seen this choice of topping at the other yogurt places before.

Below, some paper stars next to a clothing boutique. I like how they used pinking shears to edge the white star. I know how to make those, but never thought to use those edged scissors to make it more decorative. It's basically a square that you fold and make cuts. You tape the strips intermittently and then tape six of those together to form one star. I should make some for the house and post the tutorial.

About the other star, I haven't learned how to do that, but I liked how they crimped it and did some decorative cut outs near the points.
Since it was Black Friday, Queen Bee Arts and Cultural Center (the yellow building) was having some sort of event where crafters were selling their wares along with musical performances and artwork displayed. I thought we could check it out but it cost $5 to get in, so we passed on that. I liked the quality of the light that afternoon.

This sign was near the Queen Bee building which made TC and I snort with laughter...

Seeing that sign made us think about this sketch in "Portlandia" featuring Fred and Carrie as inept bike valets. This sketch featured Johnny Marr (former guitarist of the Smiths) but was redone later for the show using a different actor. They should have kept Johnny!
"Give us about forty five minutes..."
Previous post on the parklet:
Sidewalk Talk at Caffe Calabria - August 2013
Previous visits to Yog-Art:
March 2013
August 2013
October 2013
Donut Factory
4007 30th St.
San Diego, CA 92104
(619) 584-2148
There is no website but here are the reviews from ****
Their fruit burrito was kind of sad. Now THIS is a fruit burrito (upper right hand corner):

Awww yeah...

(fruit burrito photos from me Two for two in Santee - Part 2 Mary's post, April 2013)
I'm not sure if I would revisit Donut Factory but I couldn't pass up the chance to go here because of the name. Some of these donut shops' names crack me up, like Donut Stop or Donut Touch. The Donut Factory conjures up a different image than the one you see when you walk in, but hey, that's the name they chose, eh.
One last thing before I go, here is another Bunny Kitty mural by Persue, on the side of The House of Hair on University Ave...

The other murals are near the shops on Fern in South Park and on the Redwood Laundrymat on the outer edges of North Park...

I'll have to come back during the break to get a better shot of this. A car passed by and cut off the bottom half of the mural! I wonder if there are more of these? It's like a fun challenge trying to find all this cool street art...


4 comments:
We stopped at Donut Factory because we parked around the corner when going to Calabria; you may notice I never posted on it. Anyhow, I really like the shadow in that one photo. It's 8:30 on a Wednesday night; I'm going to Mary's.
hi cathy, i was wondering why i didn't see a post since i could have sworn you had been here before.
Lucky you! Mary's! it's crullers time!
Every time I see a blueberry donut at a donut shop I think of you. hehee
hi kirbie - :) it's like an obsession, blueberry donuts are.
Post a Comment