"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, September 19, 2014

Grinds Vines and Automobilia Cafe plus BookSmart

Now we were heading north on the 101...

As mentioned in the previous post, it was pretty $#%@ hot...

so I thought a stop at the next town would be nice so we could get some cold drinks...


Morgan Hill is a city in the southernmost portion of Santa Clara County and the Silicon Valley. The city was named after an early land owner named Hiram Morgan Hill. It's a place we'd always driven by but never stopped at until today.

Sadly, that lawn sign speaks the truth in drought ridden California...

Monterey Street is the main drag in downtown Morgan Hill. While driving through, it reminded us of two other small towns we'd visited this past summer, Arroyo Grande and Paso Robles. There were blocks of older buildings and many kinds of small shops and businesses which exuded a small town feel.


There was even a small parking lot that reminded us of the one we saw at Arroyo Grande (which I still haven't posted on)...

Our stop was here, the GVA Cafe, which stands for Grinds Vines and Automobilia Cafe, a coffee/ice cream place that is housed in a historic building that used to be a bank.


From what I read, the counter is the original wooden one from the bank. All around the cafe is car related memorabilia like tin signs, assorted car parts, signs, and framed photos of classic cars.




In addition to coffee, blended drinks and smoothies, they also served ice cream and gelato!


It was nice to have some icy cold refreshing (and in my case, caffeine laden) drinks on this super bhot day. As much as I wanted to have gelato or ice cream, I wanted to pace myself for later that afternoon.

TC's chocolate chip cookie dough frappe and my blended mocha...

A hubcap serving as decor for one of GVA's planters...

Down the street where we parked was a small business center. TC saw the sign for the bookstore which also advertised art supplies so we stopped by for a tiny bit. The bookstore had its roots as a general store 30 years ago; it is owned by a husband/wife team. According to their website, they also serve snacks and ice cream, but I guess I wasn't looking for it that day. All I wanted to use was their bathroom!


The magazine cover art looks like a mutated Simpsons-esque giraffe.

The bookstore had a homey feel to it. It was kind of old fashioned inside. Borders this was not. What I liked the best were the posters in the bathroom, all book related!


Apparently, this book is quite the rage, Star Wars origami!

I wish we had more time to explore Morgan Hill...


Grinds Vines and Automobilia Cafe
17400 Monterey St., Suite 1-B
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
(408) 776-0571

gvacafe.com (which takes you to their tumblr page)

BookSmart
802 East 2nd St
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
(408) 778-6467

mybooksmart.com

Our all too short stay in Morgan Hill had to end. Time was a-wastin'!  It was time to hit the road once again and it was my turn to drive once more.

No comments: