"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Noodles Noodles

On the corner of 16th and Palm in the nebulous area between San Diego and IB is this nondescript strip mall, B ay City Plaza...

It's not quite IB, but still in an unincorporated part of San Diego that some call Nestor or even Egger Highlands (according to the SD Reader article linked at the end)...

All I knew was that there was a new Thai place to try out...

the other being in IB a few blocks away from the pier. For the record, we haven't tried that Thai place yet,  Noodles Noodles is right next to Subway; I'm not sure what it replaced. I've only gone to the Rally's in the strip mall and no other establishments. It was just Bert and I for the first visit and then we went back the next day with TC. The menu, for the most part is inexpensive. Noodles, noodle soups (rice vs. egg), rice dishes and a few non-Thai items like Yakisoba and teriyaki something.



You may also navigate their menu online here:


Service the first visit was good. The server came over to us, greeted us and let us pick where we wanted to sit. The second visit, it was a different gal and it seemed to be a big effort on her part to get our of her chair behind the register and stop playing with her cell phone. She didn't even give us a menu but pointed to it for us to take (WTF).

Bert wanted to try their iced coffee. They actually offer it with boba but I can't image drinking iced coffee with those chewy snot blobs. Ugh. The pork potstickers were fried pretty hard (which I didn't mind, as long as it wasn't burnt).

I had the egg noodle soup with bbq pork and fish balls while  Bert had the drunken noodles with shrimp (spice level was a 2 out of 10; it wasn't too hot but the girl told us that '5' was pretty spicy). See the toppings on my soup? That is fried garlic my friends, which is what made this soup stand out.

Bert thought the amount of shrimp was kind of weak; there were only six and damn if I can even identify a shrimp in this photo. Where ARE they? Wait, I see a tail there. Hmmm...

The price for the combo fish ball and bbq pork was $5.95, the same price as the fish ball soup alone or the bbq pork, so why not get both for the same price, eh.

I really liked my soup because of the fried garlic and the egg noodles. The soup itself was a little more salty than I'm used to but I don't really drink the soup when I order soup. I eat it for the fillings.

The next day, we went again for lunch, this time with TC. You probably already know what she ordered.


We were curious about this Palm juice drink since seeing it on the menu the night before. The juice indeed comes from a type of palm tree called the sugar palm (also called a toddy palm or the Asian Palmyra palm). The girl explained it was pretty sweet (35 g of sugar, wut!). When poured into a glass, the liquid was a pale yellow and supersweet.

Their spring rolls come with either tofu or chicken. The peanut sauce was kind of thin tasting but TC seemed to like these rolls which were wrapped kind of messily.

Bert tried the Panang curry this time with beef, I had the rice noodle soup with beef and beef balls (it turns out they gave me only the beef ballz), and yes, TC's favorite, Pad Thai, but this time with tofu. We enjoyed our dishes very much. They gave me so much noodles in my soup and I couldn't manage half of it. The beef balls texture was kind of spongy. I don't know if I'll get it again.



There's more of that fried garlic and a faint smattering of some sort of savory powder. I thought the shape of the soup spoon was cool too. It's made so you can rest it upside down on the rim.



Their menu is pretty simple. Not too many choices to overwhelm the casual customer. Their clientele was mixed.  We saw a few walk-in's picking up their orders. For our first visit, service was great and the girl was friendly. For the second, it was a different girl with a different attitude, like she couldn't be bothered to even get up unless she had to. I've seen that at several establishments where the workers are just staring at their smartphones  instead of paying attention to the customers.

Review of Noodles Noodles:
"Pleasure Additive", SD Reader, July 30, 2014

Noodles Noodles
1555 Palm Ave, Suite H
San Diego, CA 92154
(619) 946-4556

www.the2noodles.com

We would try this place again. While it's not too adventurous, the prices are reasonable. I could get way better Thai elsewhere of course (Supannee House of Thai is my new favorite, having replaced Sab-e-Lee) but at least we gave it a few tries.

4 comments:

CAB said...

It all looks good! Snot balls...hahaha

caninecologne said...

i hate boba!

Mary said...

I like boba but I can't imagine it in coffee... ugh. I love those soup spoons with the little nook so you can rest them on the side! I want those for my house.

caninecologne said...

Boba in coffee isn't appetizing to me. Those spoons are cool. I am sure u can find them at a random Asian store.