
KD wanted to give Persian desserts a try, so off we went...
to the charming neighborhood of University Heights.

This being "winter" in San Diego, plexiglass shields were in place in Soltan Banoo's outdoor patio. Last summer when TC and I visited, it was open and breezy. The entrance also had these silky brown fabric drapes which was a cool touch.

When we parted the drapes, we saw a real fire burning in a tiny fireplace.

We could have sat anywhere but chose to sit near the warmth of the fire.

Their dessert options:

I ordered two pieces each of the Gaz (the triangular pieces) and the Turkish Delight (the same sweet that the White Witch plied Edmund Pevensie with in C.S. Lewis' "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe).

Each piece was cut in half and shared. The Gaz was chewier and both had pistachios within. The GF's liked that we were able to get tiny tastes of this instead of a huge piece.

Then came the Akbar Mashti (Persian ice cream flavored with rosewater and saffron, topped with whipped cream, rosewater syrup and pistachios)...

We loved that the ice cream was sandwiched between very light and crisp waffles.


The only downside to our visit here was our server. After greeting us, she "apologized" that she was the only one there and was quite busy. Then later, she forgot to give us our waters and our extra spoons even after we reminded her. She also came by later to apologize again. I thought her first apology was a cop out. Servers shouldn't make clients feel like they aren't important enough to be served, no matter how busy. The outside patio only had two tables (which included ours) and the restaurant inside didn't look that busy. It wasn't even full. Okay, gripe session over.

Our original plan after this was to go to H-Mart (the rest had never been yet) to have more dessert at Paris Baguette.
I forget which intersection this was but it's somewhere in North Park. KD likes their fish tacos here.

This painted utility box is on the corner of 30th and Meade. We were taking the 'freeway-less' route to get to Fairmount Ave. D's favorite gas station was down the hill near Osaka's.

While D was pumping her gas, we paid a visit to the strip mall where we browsed at a consignment shop and a discount store called Tuesday Morning. We decided to just to up to the Convoy area for dessert instead of driving all the way up to Manila Mesa.
My previous visit to Soltan Banoo with TC where we had the Kookoo and the same desserts.
I was a bit bummed that our service that day was not as good as it should have been. When I went last summer, the guy working there had a much better attitude and demeanor. We also had nicer serving ware (milky blue water goblets and mustard yellow plates).
After Persian, it was off to Kearny Mesa...


3 comments:
Huh... rosewater and ice cream! I want to try that! And the waffles sound good too... kind of like an ice cream sandwich.
Just saw Bourdain getting a saffron rosewater ice cream sandwich like that. Now that I know the sandwich is available close by, will try it...you know there is saffron ice cream at Vine Ripe.
Hi Mary - yes, it was an unusual but subtle flavor. Not too way out there though. I really liked the presentation too.
Hi Cathy - Ooh, I didn't know about the saffron ice cream at Vine Ripe. Will have to try that and buy some waffles. Perhaps make my own version with rosewater syrup too. :)
Post a Comment