Recently TC and I visited a relatively new taco shop with a Day of the Dead theme...

It was located in the tiny strip mall on the southwest corner of 3rd and Oxford...
right across from Hogetsu.

Yeah, this strip mall...This whole street is full of 'em.

It's in the corner past the liquor store.

La Kalaka Flaca opened seven months ago and is owned by Henri and Johnny Alcaraz (I assume they were brothers or perhaps cousins). The guys are pretty young, laid back and very friendly. Henri was working the front that day and Johnny was cooking in the back.
As you can see, the theme was Day of the Dead mixed with a little bit of a surfer style, along with colorful papel picado festooned across the ceiling.

They served combos, burritos, tortas, and tacos and some fish specials...

I really liked that vibrant square textile. Johnny said they got it in Rosarito. At the moment, it was serving as a placemat for the molcajetes.

It felt like sensory overload in here. I loved the paintings and the delicate paper cutouts.

But was the food any good?

We sat at the table with the skull as a guitar. For starters, we were served warm complimentary tortilla chips with a salsa of medium heat. In the cup was jamaiaca (hibiscus flower punch).

TC felt the salsa was too hot but it was just right for me.

Our tortas below. In the front was my adobada torta, while TC had fish, which wasn't one of their options but Johnny said they could make one for her. Both tortas had our proteins of choice along with tomato slices, guacamole, and shredded lettuce.

I'm not a torta aficionada, but I thought this was all right. The meat was chopped up kind of small and some parts were on the dry side. Maybe if the pieces were bigger and more tender...

TC's fish (which was grilled not fried). I actually liked hers more than mine. The bread held up pretty well. Bert was the lucky recipient of the other halves of the tortas later that day. He liked the bread first of all. He also enjoyed the fish more than the pork adobada.

I'm not sure why they bill themselves as 'gourmet'? I fail to see what was gourmet about these tortas. How gourmet can you make a rolled taco? But seriously, I should ask them next time. I would give this place another chance and try something different.
La Kalaka Flaca
1223 3rd Ave, Suite C-1
Chula Vista, CA 91911
(619) 476-0911
They do not have a website but here are the mixed bag o' reviews from yelp.
Unfortunately, because TC's teeth and gums were hurting from her spacers, we opted not to get dessert afterwards. Darnit too, because Neveria Tocumbo was right across the street!!! Next time!


4 comments:
I definitely dig the theme of this place! Love the decorations. Too bad the tortas weren't outstanding. I wonder what makes it gourmet, too? Maybe they use gourmet salts or something. haha.
The theme may be cute but the tortas were just all right. Not OMG, this is so good I must have another one right now!
Have you been to Tropical Fruit Paradise over in Mission Gorge, near Kaiser? That place is OMG good!
Not yet! I remember seeing your posts, and cathy's too. must try it next time!!!!
Post a Comment