"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, January 05, 2013

Hanna's Gourmet

Today turned out to be an accidental birthday foodcrawl...

this time for the lovely KD, who comprises 1/4 of our group of the Educator GF's...

This time the place was open, unlike the time I visited with Cathy a few months ago  and ended up going to 30th Street Cafe instead.  Well, it was my bad because I didn't check their website thoroughly on their hours.  For the record, Hanna's is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, so don't go on those days, all righty then! The world cuisine of the week was "Italy".

As you can see, a very gorgeous day. Not a cloud in the sky with highs in the low 60's. I hear that it's supposed to rain tomorrow though. Just up the down the street is Twiggs (which I haven't been but KD has and likes) and Cafe 21 (which I've visited twice and loved each time).

We arrived around 11:30 that morning and it was fortuitous timing because soon after, it filled up both inside and outside on their side patio. It's quite a lovely and cute little place. I really liked the neatly arranged shelves and the sweets filled apothecary jars. The service was great and even Hanna herself came out with some of our plates.

Although their World Cuisine of the week was Italy, we ended up getting other items on their menu.

In their display cases were prepared salads (eggplant, kale, pasta to name a few)...

along with a variety of desserts, including a goat cheese creme brulee (seen on the bottom shelf).

D and TORC both ordered the Berry Blossom tea...

Now on with the food for us four hungry ladies.  First up, my breakfast sandwich which contained scrambled eggs, bacon, Havarti cheese, and basil, served on a multigrain bread.

I really enjoyed this sandwich and thought the basil really made the sandwich stand out. The cheese was nice and melty. Of course, bacon also makes everything taste better. I also ordered their Salad with pears, cranberries and hazelnuts ($6/and with chicken $2 more). The dressing was on the side; they actually gave me two. One was a citrus pear vinaigrette with poppy seeds with balsamic being the other choice. The pears were perfect and the chicken was moist, not dried out. We all got to enjoy this as well.

Since it was KD's day, she also chose one of the beautifully presented salads in the case, the Raw Kale Salad with sun dried tomatoes and green lentils. I've never had lentils in a salad so this was a pleasant taste sensation. The only thing I didn't really like was the crumbled goat cheese, but I was able to get some that didn't have any on it. Luckily, the amount of goat cheese in the salad was sparse. This, like my sandwich, also tasted fantastic.

Both TORC and D (unknowingly) committed one of the cardinal sins when dining with a food blogger and that was ordering the same thing (gasp!). All kidding aside, their Turkey Pear Brie sandwich  ($8) was a big hit at the table.

It was on lightly toasted focaccia bread and had creamy cranberry aioli as well. This was one of the best sandwiches we've ever had! I almost wished I'd ordered this myself!

Our birthday gal, KD ordered the Cilantro Noodles with Seared Salmon ($11.99). I didn't get a taste of her salmon, but liked her noodles. The cilantro flavor wasn't really that pronounced, but it was lighter than a pesto.

Boy were we glad we went here! Everything was amazing, fresh, and delicious. We definitely want to go here again.

Their aforementioned salad dressing. The citrus pear dressing was so light and refreshing. You can see some of the poppy seeds floating about. It was a great dipping sauce for my lettuce leaves and chicken.

As we left, we noticed this potted fruit tree next door.

This tree looked familiar to us Filipina American chicks. If you look closely, you can see a couple of two green citrus fruits. This is a calamansi tree (a Philippine citrus fruit); the label at the base said, "calamondin" (the proper scientific term for it).

Hanna's was such a great choice.Well, actually, I had plan A, B, C, D, and E in place and let KD choose. So really, the credit goes to her for ultimately selecting Hanna's Gourmet.  This birthday lunch outing was initially going to be just lunch and dessert but somehow (cough cough) ended up being a food crawl!!! (claps hands with glee and cackles maniacally)

Happy Birthday KD!

Who else went to Hanna's Gourmet?

Marci of To Dine For San Diego went here in July 2011
Paul of SD Urban - went here back in August 2011 and highly recommended this place.
 (If you're reading this, Paul - Thanks for the shoutout on your 'tweet'. I wasn't able to comment on your Hanna's post because I am not on facebook. Yes, I am technologically impaired!)
Feast! Eat Around the World at Hanna's Gourmet (SD Reader March 2012) and the overwhelmingly positive reviews from yelp.

KD's previous birthday celebrations:
2012 - This was THE EPIC TEA PARTY we held at my house
2011 - Pho Hiep Grill Chateau
2010 - Sab e Lee 2
2009 - Romesco's
2008 - Frida's (which is now closed and is now the recently opened location of El Vitral)

Hanna's Gourmet
2864 Adams Ave
San Diego, CA 92116
(619) 280-5600

www.hannasgourmetcatering.com

Like with our lunch choices, I also had about five choices for desserts. Turns out that our next stop wouldn't be our last stop of the day...

4 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

The food looks *wonderful*. There was a place in Norfolk called 'The Green Grocer' or something like that and it had the food displayed the same way, including the apothecary jars...and everything was always fresh. Seriously need to go here soon.

caninecologne said...

Hi Cathy - Yes, everything was amazing. The food not only looked good but tasted good. We could tell that they take extra special care when preparing and presenting the food here. Very very nice. OMG, if you go there, let me go and I'll meet you!

Unknown said...

So many spots we'll have to eat at when we visit your neck of the woods!

caninecologne said...

hi c- so when will that be????? :)