"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, January 07, 2013

Angels & Hearts Harajuku Creperie

Well, our original plan to go to H-Mart was changed so we could go to the parking lot from HELL...

Yes, this one...


and can you believe we even got a space?  The parking lot gods were smiling on us that afternoon. Seriously, it was fkg chaotic and if I would have been driving (I wasn't, thank goodness), I wouldn't even have attempted it. All those crazy impatient drivers...

Anyways, as McLovin' said in "Superbad" as he was about to lose his virginity, "I'm IN...."

KD ended up selecting Angels & Hearts Harajuku Creperie along with Tapioca Express for our next dessert stop. I was curious about this place after having read Kirbie's post on it (linked at the end). Crepes in a cone also piqued the other GF's interest.

Angels & Hearts shares a kitchen and space with neighboring RakiRaki Ramen.  This part is the creperie where two workers were busy filling crepe and snow ice orders.

KD and D ordered one crepe and one snow "fluff". In fact, there is the mango ice block getting shaved for our dessert.

It's $4 and included condensed milk, popping pearls (the ones that look like those ikura roe) and whipped cream. We also ordered it with mochi bites (an extra .60). If I go here again, I'm interested in trying their taro or green tea flavor as well as that frozen caramelized brulee.

For the crepe, KD wanted it with strawberries and bananas. The base price is $3 but then when you start adding toppings and fruit and such, the price goes up to about $5 (or more if you add a lot of stuff).

It was fun watching them make the crepes. I liked how thin they were and the chewy texture. The edges were crisp too.

See those tables? They only have three. Very limited seating here. Most people just get their crepe and leave. In Japan, it's a portable snack.

Kirbie mentioned that this place doesn't fill up the crepes to the top like she'd seen at another place (not in San Diego).  The fillings are down in there. That long thing was a chocolate covered wafer cookie. As for the snow ice, I think the whipped cream is overkill though.

The popping pearls were multicolored which was cool. I liked that we could see the texture of that shaved snow ice.

The crepe was a bit difficult to eat, especially when sharing between four people. I liked tearing off the edges of the crepe dough (which is supposed to be made from sweet rice flour from what I've read: I'll have to ask next time).

The crepe before it's decimation.

I liked the concept of the crepes but it was difficult to eat. I ended up getting another one later to bring home to TC and Bert. The fluff ice was pretty good but I think I like Yogurt Swirls's better since they have more selection of flavors.

Who else went to Angels & Hearts?

Kirbie of Kirbie's Cravings is always on trend...Here's her first post where she had the crepes and her second visit where she had the snow fluff.
Plus a short article by examiner.com which also has a mini slideshow.

Here's a look at a REAL Harajuku crepe (from Harajuku ) from WhiteonRiceCouple's visit in 2009 as well as Not Quite Nigella's review on Marion Crepes and Angels Hearts Crepes in Harajuku. I noticed that the paper cone here at Angels & Hearts was very similar to the one from Angels Hearts. OMG, cute overload!

Harajuku Crepe's site in Beverly Hills: www.harajukucrepe.us

Angels & Hearts Harajuku Creperie
4646 Convoy St.
San Diego, CA 92111

They do not have a website.

You'd think we'd be done for the day right? Well, D had a hankering for ramen and since Angels & Hearts shares space with the establishment next door, that was our next destination. We didn't have to walk far, heh heh...

Coming up...oodles of noodles!

6 comments:

NerdsWithFood said...

If you're wondering, the "frozen creme brulee custard" is just a wedge of flan. Still pretty good though!

caninecologne said...

Hello NWF - thanks for visiting and for letting me know about the frozen creme brulee. :)

Unknown said...

OMG. This post is making me hungry!

caninecologne said...

hi c - you would love this place!

CAB said...

I like crepes with crispy edges and that looks pretty darn good.

caninecologne said...

hi cab - yeah, i could go for one of these right now.