"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, May 22, 2017

The new Olympic Cafe visits + Golden Donut once again

The old Olympic Cafe on the Northwest corner of Texas and University closed late last year and recently reopened. I took Astroboi there for breakfast for his early birthday...

(view on Camino del Rio South under the 8)

Astroboi is the king of surface streets...

(sign at the bottom of Texas St.)

So we took the "scenic" route from Grantville to North Park

I love springtime in San Diego because all of the jacaranda trees are in full bloom...

Here is the small stripmall where the old Olympic Cafe used to be.

The new location is actually just BEHIND it, taking over the old Jersey Joe's Pizzeria spot.


There is a small lot in the front and some on the side (slopey spaces though) or you can try your luck at street parking.

There is also an new covered outdoor patio, which is where we chose to sit. One, less people (at least this early), and two, more light.


Yay for no crowds.  I liked t hat each table had vintage cups for the sugars.


Prices on their website don't reflect the prices on the menu. The site probably has prices from their old location.

Our breakfast in all of its morning glory.

His two egg breakfast with extra crisp hash browns, sausage side and sourdough toast.

My  "Fred's Egg Sandwich" (now $7.25, a $2 increase) - eggs fried over hard (my request), with bacon, lettuce and tomato plus a side of sausage (separate from the sandwich entree).


Looks healthy...but isn't total granola tree hugger healthy. We enjoyed both of our breakfasts and will even return with our respective "others" for future visits.

The very next day (yes), I returned to Olympic Cafe, this time with D. Bert and TC were out playing volleyball and I had a free morning...

We sat outside since the side patio had a lot of people. Across the street was Communal Coffee where we would go after breakfast. I preferred for us to have more privacy, plus it was a lovely morning and it was nice to sit outside.

Another vintage cup!

These plates were pretty hearty...

D's Greek omelet with spinach and feta cheese with a side of hash browns and pita bread.

My hamburger patty with eggs, sourdough toast and hash browns. I wanted to get something different since I was leaning towards sausage again.  wasn't feeling it for the pecan waffle and wanted something savory. Not overly fancy but just what I wanted for breakfast. I am not into the sweet stuff for breakfast as you can probably surmise.

Our server was the same both times (she was left handed too!).    Leftovers were plentiful since the portion size was quite generous. My beef patty was a bit too pink in the middle for my taste, but tasted well enough.

Across the street was a donut shop I hadn't been to in awhile. D and I actually went here first before crossing the street to Communal.

The ladies here had at least eight Vietnamese coffee filters going on...If we weren't going to Communal, I would have had one of those coffees.

This is what we came here for, their toasted coconut donut.

This would be enjoyed soon enough...

Articles:
The November facebook post that confirmed they were moving

"Olympic Cafe and John Kotselas will stay in neighborhood" SD Uptown News, Dec. 2, 2016

"Olympic Cafe reopens in North Park after expansion"Eater San Diego, May 2, 2017

This article reveals which eatery will replace the old location:
"Pizza Hut instead of Olympic Cafe" SD Reader, April 11, 2017

Previous visit to the OLD Olympic Cafe
May 2016

Olympic Cafe
2310 University Ave
San Diego, CA 92104
(619) 692-9082

www.olympiccafesd.com + reviews from yelp (which includes hundreds of reviews from their previous location)

No comments: