
to the newly opened cafe serving only green tea products...
Holy Matcha used to be this establishment:

From RC Awards to this. All of the older shops in North Park are starting to disappear. Gentrification in action.
At least they kept the black and pink tiled divider wall. It's kind of like the Pink Lady color theme from "Grease"...pink and black is a slightly more bad-ass combination. I'm not much for pink myself since it's a bit too frou for me.

Here it was back in February:

Now open for a couple of months now...

Once you step inside, it's green and pink galore! Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely beautiful in here! Botanical wallpaper is officially a thing! Plus the pink really does pop against the green. Preppy colors meets jungle boogie.



Millennials galore snapping selfies against the wall and the soft pink banquette seats...


House plant chic amidst tea paraphernalia and candles and more for sale...


The obligatory neon sign...

Their revamped menu, differing slightly from their soft open (see Kirbie's post at the end). Certain drinks are now sweetened, thank goodness.

Astroboi and I were enamored of these floral paper straws, but the downside of these is that after a few minutes, they start to get flimsy. Not fun to drink out of when they get to that point.

Our beautiful drinks which we unfortunately ordered 'to go' (and therefore served in plastic cups) because every seat was taken but then I snatched up the table for two by the front window where we planted our asses to enjoy this rad tableau you see before you. On the chairs were pillows with long pink fluffy "fur" (or "pink pubes" as Astroboi called it). He didn't want to lean on it, ha ha. I thought the pillows looked fun though.

Nearly blowsy roses...I've always wanted to use that word, hah. But yes, they are lovely and lush.

My iced matcha horchata latte below. I would have liked this better without the cinnamon though. I saw another girl with the same drink but hers was served in a Mason jar complete with little paper umbrellas. Whaaat! She and her boyfriend had complimented my Supertoki print Tokidoki bag. They were fascinated by the cartoon panels and characters on my purse.

Astrboi's matcha lemonade was garnished with a dendrobium orchid and a thin slice of lemon. His lemonade was slightly carbonated as well, giving it a refreshing taste. Of the two drinks, I liked his much better than mine.



The matcha flavors were pretty pronounced. If I ever get this again, I will have to pass on the cinnamon and ask for the milk to be coconut (glad it's a choice). The girls working here are very nice as well! It's just too damn crowded in here...
And now for the bathroom (sorry for the blurry shot) for more botanical hijinks. Cactus this time! So Cute! And pink subway tile! And pink air refreshener!


Dayum!

TC really wants to go here; once school is out in a few weeks, we'll have time to go with her and her BFF.
Before heading back, Astroboi and I made a quick stop at Junz a few blocks west. What I like about Junz is that they are inexpensive and you can order half portions of their sushi rolls.


I ordered a half order of the Spicy Krab and the Tempura Style shrimp roll for us to share.


Simple and basic but enough for a little snack. I liked the battered and fried sushi. Not traditional I know, but it tastes good!
At home, my birthday gifts from Astroboi - I loved it all, especially the Donutella plush and the purple unicorn key chain ring! He knows me well. Bert already claimed the espresso candy and the shrimp chips are already gone.

Another fun outing with my dear friend. Next month it will be his turn for his birthday.
Who else went to Holy Matcha:
Kirbie went to the soft opening in early March (Her drinks were decorated but also unsweetened; she also had the donut)
Articles:
"High end Japanese tea cafe touches down in North Park" March 2, 3017
"Holy Matcha set to open in North Park" Pacific San Diego, March 3, 2017
+ Darlene's writeup in Zagat San Diego
"First look - Holy Matcha opens in North Park" March 20, 2017
Holy Matcha
3118 University Ave
San Diego, CA 92103
www.holymatchasd.com + reviews from you know where
Remember, credit card only! They don't accept cold hard cash.
Previous visit to Junz (there's a more recent visit but I didn't take pix since it was the same ole stuff)
August 2015


2 comments:
Aww Donutella! The drinks look much better now at Holy Matcha. I'll have to go back.
Yes, so cute!!!
Points for presentation for their drinks (except for the plastic cups). A return visit is in order.
Post a Comment