After watching his car containing our daughter go up the hill, we headed out ourselves. If she can have date night, why so can we, heh heh.

Our dinner destination was in Kensington...

Not Cucina Sorella, this time but another place a few blocks away...
from this sign.

It was the golden hour and the lighting was amazing. As we approached this block, I noticed the huge jacaranda tree ahead. It was in the courtyard of this vintage apartment complex...


Let me preface this post by saying that we have been to Pappalecco numerous times in the past and have always experienced great service. The same can not be said for this night's visit. It actually wasn't just us either (which relieved me but still, not good in terms of customer service); Bert noticed other annoyed diners who, like us, were waiting to get their orders taken (it took twenty minutes for us which sucked big old hairy gorilla ballz) or to receive their meals. Every server that would pass by would be too preoccupied or busy to take orders. It was really frustrating. The restaurant wasn't crowded but it wasn't dead either. They had about four servers and who knows how many cooks in the kitchen (maybe one?). Anyhow, once we got our orders and our food, it was better but we were both still peeved by the lack of attention and the nonchalant attitude of the server which soured our experience.
Our drinks - Bert's White Rascal Belgian white ale by Avery Brewing (from Boulder, CO), a light refreshing ale plus my Shekerato (double shot of espresso shaken with simple syrup and ice), served chilled with a thick foam (not whipped cream) and chocolate espresso beans on top.

I had ordered this very same drink last year with Astroboi and my glass was not as filled up as this. It was pretty strong (which I liked but also regretted since it kept me up pretty late) and very very smooth and chilled nicely.
We shared a salad and a pizza. This salad was called the Positano - salmon with aurugla, brie, red onions, tomatoes, walnut and figs with a lime vinagrette and garlic bread.

The Salsiccia pizza had chicken sausage, San Marzano tomatoes, Fior di latte Mozzarella (smoked), cherry tomatoes, onions and Brie cheese (which the menu misspelled as 'bree').


Both the salad and pizza were delicious. Despite the initial crappy service, we did enjoy our meal, which I'm hoping wasn't served with a hidden logie or hair.

The old Kensington Video which closed last year because a hybrid video store and juice bar. Now it's going to be this, Buddies and Babes, what looks like a pet store/pet grooming/baby furniture and baby gear store.

Dessert was at Moosie's nearby. We normally would have enjoyed gelato at Pappalecco, trust me, it's among the best in San Diego...but I didn't want to be in there after our dinner and the poor service. Bert and I shared a double scoop (we each chose a flavor)...


I noticed the counter had "new" stools (well, new as of last year). The owner was happy that I noticed and remembered what the place looked like before.

The shop has that vintage feel with the bar stools.
To refresh your memory, the ice cream is from Fosselman's in Alhambra. The had a nice range of flavors, including taro. We chose pistachio (his choice) and Coffee Cookies & Cream.



The pistachio was at the bottom. Both flavors were excellent and very creamy.


I may have to start making my own version of this coffee cookies and cream so I can have it anytime!
"Twin Peaks" is back....

Showings for the week of May 13th...

OMG..."Poltergeist" - "They'e heeeeeeere!".
Previous visit to Pappalecco:
June 2016 during Astroboi's birthday crawl
Previous visit to Moosie's:
July 2014
We wanted to hurry back so we would be home when TC got home from the movie. She and her boyfriend watched "Alien: Covenant" at our local theater and we were curious to hear her take on the movie. Before she left I asked her how she would get in since it's rated R and she's not yet 17 ("You need to have a Plan B movie if they don't let you in", I told her). She told me that they don't check ID's there and I figured, okay, let's give this a go! Apparently, she was able to see it, so much for age restrictions, eh.


No comments:
Post a Comment