
At the light, we noticed an iteration of this sign, which was also posted on the window of the old Olympic Cafe....
Basically, you are not supposed to park in that stripmall lot unless you are frequenting those particular businesses. Well, last time we were here, we didn't, and luckily we weren't ticketed, heh heh.
For this visit, we were able to sit outside by the Coffee + Flowers wall.

While D got our drinks, I staked our table outside, between a group of women and a couple with a very mellow pit bull.
D got the mocha and I had the iced banana latte, made with housemade banana milk; I requested that my drink NOT have whipped cream on top as well as nutmeg.



Both drinks were so delicious - the mocha was very rich and my banana latte very refreshing (I loved that there was no actual milk in there as well). Communal has certainly stepped up their game since my initial visit last year.

Oh, and here's that toasted coconut donut from Golden Donut across the street.

The donut itself was very light and airy and made even better with sweet toasted coconut flakes.
On a more recent visit, I went once again with D and this time, KD joined us. When D and I went last week, we made plans to come back, which we did.
Here is my drive by shot.


We parked about a block away, not in the stripmall across the street. We also were there around 8:15'ish and it wasn't even close to crowded, which was great.
Inside the coffee shop is a florist, Native Poppy. Everytime I've gone here, the suspended dried floral display is always different. This time, it was various shades of pink. Gone were the "Fuck Yeah" wood burned key chains. Bummer, I was thinking of getting it, ha ha. I actually bought a few enamel pins (pins are a thing nowadays) as gifts...



The adjoining room used to be another business (I don't recall what) and the coffee space is much bigger with this added room. Since it was early, it wasn't yet filled with stroller moms and millenials or folks glued to their laptops.


KD's house coffee and a repeat of D's mocha...


Our breakast:

The latte flight was vanilla bean and lavender and honey. One of the drinks' latte art is messed up because when I tried repositioning the wooden board, the glass wobbled and spilled a tiny bit. Of course some of the coffee spillage got onto my WHITE jeans dammit (I was able to remove the stains later, thank goodness but frack, it always happens with white jeans...spilling something like right away).
The toast flight is the same as the one we shared for my birthday food crawl (post linked at the end), plus a breakfast croissant with ham and eggs, a vegetable quiche and chia pudding with sliced fruits.






The quiche was very rich and the perfect size to share. The breakfast croissant was also delicious epecially with the sliced boiled and salted egg. Leftover toast and quiche was taken home for KD to enjoy later...

This wasn't so bad either (TC had it later that day)...This is pretty easy to make as TC has made it numerous time in the past.

A gorgeous yellow tree we encountered along Texas St. while walking back to the car...


My picks from Native Poppy were these cute enamel pins. I didn't realize the little paper bags were .25 each, until I saw the receipt email, dammit.


I gave TC the corgi pin as a little gift.
Previous visit to Communal
"Birthday food crawl with the Educator GF's", April 2017
The other one, will be part of a gift for one of her very good friends who is graduating as co-valedictorian of her school later this week. I just want this last week of work to be over with! I am so ready for summer vacation and also...for the San Diego Fair to begin (the Del Mar Fair for us old enough to remember what it used to be called)!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment