
This time I would be in the company of a good friend and her younger sister (both former students in fact, class of '97 and '11 respectively)...

They wanted to take me out for my birthday and what better day than the very last day of my favorite month...
It was my choice so Sorella it was. We were seated inside which was exciting to me because my previous two visits, we were seated outside. My friend and her sister were both enamored of the beautiful botanical wallpaper...

Macrame. It's back with a vengeance.

It was nice sitting here at the top of the dinner hour...it wasn't crowded yet.

We shared several dishes:

Lavender lemonade plus the Aquazul drink (strawberry, mint, lime, ginger soda):


My Aquazul drink was so refreshing!
Octopus alla plancha (grape, sorpressata, radicchio, yogurt, mint chimichurri):

I didn't realize that the octopus would be just ONE tentacle, a skinny one at that. While pretty to look at, I wished this was more substantial.
Sorella House salad escarole, roaster pepper, red onion, smoked almond, pecorino) with dressing on the side.

There were a lot of textures and flavors going on here (nuts, bitter greens, cheese, etc) which we really enjoyed.
Burrata + Prosciutto caprese (campari tomato, arugula, 18 year balsamic) - This was my friend's younger sister's choice. The lightly dressed arugula went well with the creamy burrata.

Our pasta dishes:

Malfade Nero (mussel, clam, calamari, shrimp, green garlic, serrano chili, tomato) - The 'malfade' shape is like a thinner and narrower lasagna noodle; 'nero' refers to the squid ink coloring the pasta. There was slight kick to this dish. You could really taste the garlic and the peppers in here. They didn't skimp on the seafood in here either.

Mezzaluna (sweet potato, coconut, cashew, brown butter turnip) - This was probably the best dish of all that we had that evening. The pasta was a half moon shape (hence the name) and very tender and fresh. The flavor combinations in this dish were unusual but worked.

We were originally going to get gelato at Pappalecco down the street but were too full to even attempt so we called it a night (even though it was still early).

Swanky takeout boxes.

They box it up at the end of your meal and leave it at the front desk for pickup on your way out.
Previous visit to Cucina Sorella
July 2016
They had a Mother's Day Brunch advertised but I think my sister had other plans for us to spend the upcoming holiday with our mom...With vacation coming up, I'm hoping to come here again for another early dinner. I do wish they were open for lunch.
I had a lovely time with my friend and her younger sister. In fact, I event told the youngest that she could now call me by my first name. She was hesitant to do so but c'mon, she's 24 now and will be graduating from college soon. I think the "Ms." title can be dropped now, ha ha. This was such a pleasure spending time with these two, catching up on our respective lives and also being treated to a beautiful and delicious dinner.


No comments:
Post a Comment