"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Canada 2012 - Night 1 - Zet's

Okay...here goes!

After arriving in YYZ late night, we got our rental car and were wondering where to eat for dinner. I find that sometimes the best recommendations come from locals, not guide books that want to steer visitors to tourist traps.  We wanted someplace that was open at night. Someplace near the airport and someplace good. The guy at the rental car lot recommended several places, such as Swiss Chalet (a Canadian chain that specializes in chicken) and Zet's...

"Zet's...That's Zed-E-T-S!" he told us....

He gave us some simple directions and off we went in search for a late night meal...


He wasn't kidding when he said Zet's was easy to find.

You really can't miss this at all.

By this time, it was nearly 10:30 pm. Although the photo below shows a nearly empty restaurant, there was a huge rush of people about five minutes after I snapped this.

They served mainly Greek food as well as burgers and dogs.

Their counters were manned by employees who were assigned to specific tasks like salads or scooping the rice. One guy who looked to be the owner or perhaps the manager was barking out the orders as they came in fast and furiously. "Souvlaki plate!" "Gyros plate!"

Aah to be young again and not have to worry about a slowed down metabolism. This of course, was NOT my meal, but TC's Bacon Cheeseburger. The plate came with a huge load of fries. Too much in fact. Bordering on obscene. The bacon slices were plentiful in her burger...thick slices too! She liked her burger but it proved too much for her so I "helped" her finish the bacon (but not the meat)!

Bert got their Gyros plate. Talk about carb overload. You got the pita wrap around the gyros meat, then potatoes, AND rice!  And wait, there were also bread rolls that came with our meals!  His combo (and mine) both came with potatoes, rice, and a Greek salad.

Airport rental car guy recommended their Chicken Souvlaki so I ordered that. I needed some protein, but like TC's heap of fries, this was a ridiculous amount of food (priced well for the money, I must say). Unfortunately my salad went largely untouched but TC happily ate some of it with her burger. The salad had Greek dressing which I really hate and it was all over the salad making it inedible for me. The potatoes were so good but too heavy for such a late night meal. My chicken souvlaki had a good flavor; I could taste the olive oil, lemon juice, the oregano and other spices...

I didn't really do much damage to my plate despite how hungry I was. I think it was because it was so late at night!

Before we crashed at our hotel room, we searched for the nearest convenience store and saw this interestingly named fast food establishment:

When I see the words Fat Bastard, I think of this:

"Get in my belly!"

Just two doors down from FB's was the Canadian version of 7-11, Mac's.

We needed to buy some water jugs and also these:

You will notice we got two different brands and styles of ketchup flavored chips...

and a creamy dill for TC. When we got to Mac's, it was already 11:45 and they would be closing at midnight. I'm sure the dude working there is used to people having the munchies that late at night, heh heh.

I would be getting my Canadian candy fix later on the Island..

Zet's
6445 Airport Road
Mississauga, ON
(905) 678-1114
www.zets.ca

Tomorrow would be a long day of driving. Five hours to Sudbury but with a lunch stop scheduled in between.

Up next...lunch in Orillia!

No comments: