Since there was no school or work for that matter the Friday after "Dark Thursday" (woo hoo), we celebrated Bert's bday with lunch at Craw Island.

This is in the Vons shopping center on Telegraph Canyon Road near the 805. We'd been wanting to go here for awhile...
My sister and her boys love this place.

Like Crab Hut on Convoy, Crab Hut is a Vietnamese owned Cajun style seafood place. Same type of decor (fishnets, nautical, etc).

We got a pound of shrimp and a pound of Snow crab legs.

I got the Island BBQ Beef...

Look at that last item...and does it bug you as much as it bugs me that there is no space between the "w" and the "I" in their "Crawisland" menu items?

TC's honey dew shake with

This was really disappointing. First off, I ordered this because the menu clearly said steamed rice with vegetables. Instead, they gave me a fried egg with mac salad. Turns out they no longer offer steamed vegetables so I guess they took it upon themselves to assume everyone would want mac salad and a fried egg. That would have been nice to know ahead of time. The server was apologetic but didn't offer any other substitutions.
Well, I knew since this was a lunch special, it wasn't to going to be drop dead spectacular but OMG, it was kind of sucky all around. The cross cut ribs were too fatty and the mac salad too vinegary. It was also rather plain. I gave my rice to TC and both Bert and TC shared the fried egg (with the runny yolk inside= barf).

The shrimp had all of the sauces combined (garlic, lemon, cajun and something else). Both orders came with sliced limes and tiny containers of salt and pepper. The shrimp bag also had three pieces of corn on the cob and some chopped up sausages.

We ordered a side of garlic bread. Bert and I had the medium hot sauce on the side for the snow crab legs. I liked this better than having it all over the crab.

Bert and TC both enjoyed cracking the crab legs and peeling their shrimp. I had a few pieces of each. The crab was a lot of work though but Bert did most of the cracking and peeling. Ironically, I ended using the most paper towels.

We initially contemplated on getting one of their crepes (they also offer desserts under the name, Crepe Island, which is within the same restaurant) but decided against it since we were already full. Also, I wasn't happy that my order was botched/substituted without warning so fk that. I don't know if there'll be a next time.
Who else ate at Craw Island?
The Diligent Diletante went here last year and Zar the creative head of Pnoy Apparel (a local clothing brand) also went here last summer.
There was more in store for Bert's bday...


No comments:
Post a Comment