
As a young child, she has always been easy going in terms of trying new things. Thank goodness for that. Now as a teen, she is still pretty willing to check out different spots with us...
This particular day took us to the neighborhood of South Park...
I'd seen this little corner marketplace/deli a couple of months ago while browsing around Studio Maureen (next door) with MFH...

I read online that Grant's Marketplace has quite an extensive wine and liquor selection. This place apparently used to be a crappy liquor store, then new owners took over and really fixed the place up.

I didn't take too many photos of the interior but it is jam packed with stuff in here. When you walk in, there are pastries and gelato. You can order sandwiches and other breakfast/lunch type items on the side.

They also carried snacks like nuts and chips and some fancier items like jams, candies, and such.

There is an area near the wines where people can sit and enjoy their meal/snacks/drinks - a few tables in the middle and near the side where we sat, a bar height counter. For some reason, a bike was suspended from the ceiling over the dining area.

The view from our window...

There is also a small patio outside and some tables along the sidewalk.

This was a box of books and magazines on our counter...

which was next to this huge wine bottle!

Interesting names of wines here...

We both ordered Breakfast Joes, which were neatly wrapped. Our choice of bread was a croissant.

Both of our sandwiches looked so good! I was happy to see that the used the whole egg instead of just the whites. There was a breakfast croissant we tried in Gilroy (that post will be forthcoming...one of these days, haha) and they used egg whites which I didn't really like. I know it's healthier but it tastes so bland.

TC's Breakfast Joe with eggs, American cheese, bacon, and tomato ($5.99/.75 extra for the tomato slice)

My Breakfast Joe with sausage, eggs, and Pepper Jack cheese.

Both sandwiches were delicious. I wouldn't mind coming here again to try their other breakfast sandwiches...

The ladies working here are super nice. There seemed to be a few regulars there.

TC and I were highly amused by this guy who was sitting at a corner table. He was trying to chat up a girl near him and we could tell she was unimpressed by her bored answers ("I live in La Jolla but I grew up here", "I just ran a marathon", and "I own a big company over in...blah di blah blah"). His way of talking to her was asking her to look after his table while he ran to the bathroom. Then he tried to make his moves when he got back. I felt kind of bad for her. She was trying to be nice but ended up getting hit on. When we left, he was still yapping away at her...
Overall, we liked the food and the relaxed atmosphere. The music was a mix of classical (very genteel) and more recent easy listening songs (what, no Metallica?). I'd like to come back to explore the store and their menu a bit more...
Grant's Marketplace
2953 Beech St.
San Diego, CA 92102
(619) 231-0524
There is no website but here are a few blurbs from The SD Reader here and here and Yelp.
The gift shop and art gallery a few doors down was still closed and we didn't want to wait around 'til noon 'til they opened, so we took off Banker's Hill. There was yet another coffee place I wanted to check out...

No comments:
Post a Comment