"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Guerilla Cafe

TC had her milk tea from Asha and now it was our turn to get our drinks...

I found a couple of places next to each other a few blocks north on Shattuck, so onward we went that sunny afternoon...

It was cool walking up Shattuck once again. Our destination was located in the "Gourmet Ghetto" of north Berkeley. We passed by the now shuttered Spats Bar where we used to hang out with Thane during his grad school days, along with Giovanni's Italian restaurant. We had fun showing TC all of our old haunts. A few steps more and we passed by the now cleaned up Party Sushi, which used to sport an eclectic interior but was now all "hipster" and minimalistic in decor. Another place which evoked some nostalgia was Oscar's Burgers along with Thane's old apartment building.

Our first coffee stop was here, at the aptly named Guerilla Cafe:

It was a few steps away from this crazy busy place called the Cheeseboard Collective, which has "artisanal" pizzas which differ daily depending on whatever fresh ingredients are on hand.  It kind of reminded me of those overhyped places in San Diego, like the Headquarters and some places in North Park and Hillcrest.

What kind of coffee did I get?

An iced mocha of course.  They also serve food here which I'm sure if great, but we were just here for the coffee.

The interior of the cafe had a cool 70's vibe going on. It was packed with people but the line wasn't that too long.

What I really liked were these cards with famous folks who are considered icons of social justice. I was especially pleased to see Ninoy Aquino (the pink card), he was assasinated by the corrupt Philippine government in 1983; his widow Corazon later became President of the Philippines after Marcos was ousted in 1986. Another card featured Harriet Tubman, who led slaves to freedom through the "Underground Railroad".  I'm sure Che Guevara was among one of those cards...

Bert thought the line moved pretty quickly. The iced coffee didn't take too long to prepare. TC waited outside while we waited in line.

This iced coffee was pretty good, but I had to add a tiny bit of sugar, okay, TWO packets,  to sweeten it, haha.

Guerilla Coffee
1620 Shattuck Ave
Berkeley,CA 94709
(510) 845-2233

www.guerillacafe.com

Next door was where Bert would get HIS coffee...

No comments: