"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Dessert @ Sea & Smoke, new macaron flavors and a free bundlet...

With a fab 80's soundtrack playing in Astroboi's vehicle, we made the short trip from lour lunch at Del Mar Rendezvous to the Flower Hill shopping center...

One thing I can always count on with Astroboi is his good taste in music...


This song was playing somewhere along the ride and it really brought me back to our high school/college days:


We parked near Nothing Bundt Cakes at the far end (since I would get my free bundlet there later) and walked it over to the spot where we would have dessert.

But before we get to that, take a look at this strategically cropped photo of this clothing store...The real name was Patrick James, but both Astroboi and I said, "Ooh, Rick James!" haha!

Aww yeahhh, sheeyit...

Sea & Smoke is where I decided we would have dessert...

Even though we didn't eat any actual food there, I was curious to take a sneak peak at their menu for any future visits.

It was quite nice inside (this is towards the front)...

and even cooler in the humongous bar/lounge area where there is a painting of Johnny Cash flipping the bird...

We chose to eat outside in the courtyard where it was quieter, didn't have a view of the parking lot, and had a more relaxed vibe.

Their dessert menu:

View of the outside dining area...

I liked the mixture of banquettes, tables and benches...





My iced coffee & Astroboi's iced tea were served in Mason jars which a lot of places seem to be doing nowadays.

My coffee before I accidently put in the Stevia sweetener when I meant to use real sugar!

Now that's better, coffee with cream!

Here's that card he gave me once again...

The concentrated expression on that kid's face just cracks me up!

For the both of us, I ordered the dessert I most wanted to try Thank goodness Astroboi was a good sport about this.

Coconut mousse with basil foam, roasted pineapple, and pineapple tuille.

Our dessert was topped with chopped cashews and within the mousse and foam concoction was diced sweet pineapple.

We tried a bit of that roasted pineapple; it was leathery and did NOT taste good at all. I guess it was just for looks?

As for the "tuille", I didn't realize it was the sugared leaf thing. The server told us it was a basil leaf (but she was wrong), when when I looked at it, it looked too flat and straight.

We didn't try eating it because we thought it was basil. Now I kind of regret not nibbling on it. Maybe I would have been pleasantly surprised by it.

The dessert itself looked quite striking, especially since it was served in a clear glass container where you could see all of the layers.

I thought there was a bit too much of the basil foam, but it worked with the sweet pineapple and the subtle coconut.

This was pretty light and refreshing...

While we were trying to finish off our dessert, our server came back again. This time, she had a small bowl with two scoops of gelato and a birthday candle for me. That was really sweet of her!

I'm glad she didn't sing to me although Astroboi jokingly offered to, haha! We were pretty much stuff, but I gamely tried a few spoons of the gelato which was drizzled with chocolate sauce and cocoa nibs (which I ate)...This was mainly uneaten. :(

The coconut mousse was a pretty unique dessert and I'm glad we went here to check it out!

Since I'm all into consolidating visits, it would be remiss of me to bypass Whole Foods to check ou their desserts. Faye had emailed a few of us gals that ROCQ now had desserts (in addition to their macarons) at the Whole Foods dessert case. I was curious to see what they had. Most of them were $4.95. The desserts were quite pretty. The one with the chocolate drizzle on top was a shortbread crust tart with toffee nuts on top.

The chick working the counter offered to give us a mini sample (a bite size version is available for $2_ for free, but we couldn't eat another bite after lunch and our dessert. That was nice of her to offer though and if I had an extra stomach, I would have said Yes!

I spied a couple of new macaron flavors...

We walked on the upper level on the way back to the car. This is a view of the outside dining area of Sea & Smoke...

This was our last stop...

so I could use this here coupon!

Gawd, it's so frou frou in here! Those fake flower things on the cakes really bug me!

It's so ultra femme in here, like someone barfed rainbows, hearts, and kittens and all kinds of pink shit

For my free bundlet, I chose the chocolate chocolate chip which Bert, TC and I shared several days later...

Back to the ROCQ macs now.  I got two of their new flavors...

The Chocolate Pear which didn't have much of a chocolate taste, but I still enjoyed it. It was pretty too, with a light airbrushing of green on top of the shell.

Blue Velvet - This tasted just like a Red Velvet would have, except it was blue.

One last thing... earlier in the post we saw the outer sign for the Patrick James store. On the upper level, I snapped this pic of their window display, again, strategically cropping  the name.

Man, these are pretty farty looking clothes. Who the hell wears this? I looked up their website and they say they carry "exquisite" men's apparel.

"I'm Rick James bitch!"

Their stuff is so pricy...silk gingham check shirts for $168?  Twill shorts for $79.50?  T-shirts for $79? There was even a pullover for $490!!! Just looking at their website and seeing the "models", it's safe to say that their target demographic are rich white peepaws (say with a Thurston Howell accent).

"Come now Lovey...."

Which leads me to this classic "Chappelle Show" clip:

"...Enjoy yo'self!"

And this classic song, "Give It To Me Baby", yowzah!

"Say whaaaat?"

Love that funky horn section and the bass!!!

Who else went to Sea & Smoke?
Kirbie went last summer when they first opened - July 2013

Sea & Smoke
2690 Via de la Valle
Del Mar, CA 92104
(858) 925-8212

seaandsmoke.com and facebook pasge

Nothing Bundt Cakes
(in the same shopping center but at the eastern end past Chipotle)

If I were in the area again (and who knows when that will be), I'd go to Sea & Smoke again...Nix on the other fancy ass shit they have over there. Nay to the doggie cupcakes and the spoiled demon children clothing store and most of all, to the farty patRICK JAMES clothing!

4 comments:

Faye said...

I loved your pictures of Sea & Smoke. I've only been there once but didn't have a chance to check out their lower level. It looked empty during your visit? I've never seen this place busy so I hope it survives. I'm curious about that sugared leaf too.

Isn't the Whole Foods in that promenade cool?! I think you shoulda taken that mini sample they offered you and saved it for later :)

caninecologne said...

HI Faye - Yes, it was pretty empty inside. This was around 1 pm. In the patio, there were more people, but not too crowded. Maybe at night they are busier.

I should have taken that sample, haha!! I don't really shop WF since it's so $#%@ expensive though.

Mary said...

Huh that is a pretty interesting dessert! It looks pretty, I would never ordered it since I don't like pineapple all that much. Man, I agree with Faye, you should have taken that sample for later! :)

caninecologne said...

hi mary - yeah, let me go kick myself now, haha!