"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Snacks from Santos Market

I'm kinda jumpin' around with posts again...after our interesting foray to the world of hipster coffee, TC and I headed back to our car...

but before doing so, made a quick stop at this little market...

Haha, the term "jumpin' around" reminds me of this gem from 1992...

Remember all those white rappers? Vanilla Ice doesn't count. Third Base can kick their ass ("Pop Goes the Weasel") and definitely, the dudes in House of Pain!

But I digress...TC wanted to buy some Mexican candy here.

We saw this same candy at some touristy shop in San Francisco and it was $3!!! WTH!

Over here, only .65!!!

When you push up the bottom of the container, the tamarind pulp is extruded from the grooves at the top, resembling "hair". The name of the candy means "Delicious Baldie Hair" (Pelon Pelo Rico).

TC bought the Mexican version of Tostitos  - the Salsa Verde is the kind they make for the street snack tostilocos. The American chips bags are wider; this one was narrower. For later that week, I bought some tostadas (made from a tortilleria in Escondido), some housemade pico de gallo and hot carrots.

The salsa was labeled "mild" but it had a bit of a kick to it! We enjoyed the snacks with sauteed shrimp later that week.

Previous visit to Santos Market:
January 2013

The man working here is always so nice to all of his customers. While his shop is small and may not have the freshest produce, there are some good fresh made items like the salsas and flour tortillas. I'd rather buy something from this guy than from a corporate supermarket...

2 comments:

Cathy Doe said...

I really like it here and have stopped when in the area...must do it again soon. The salsa is great.

caninecologne said...

hello cathy - yes, i'm glad we checked this place out agan.