"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Brunch @ Gelato Vero Caffe

Earlier today I had the pleasure of being treated for a late birthday brunch with Mi Firme Hina (MFH)...

I thought it would be cool to try the new brunch being served at Gelato Vero Caffe in Mission Hills.

It's not just for gelato anymore, I guess! I never even knew there was an upstairs space with a kitchen!

Just follow the stairs up...

and around the corner...

where you will see this welcome sign (and the beginning of the city-wide jacaranda blooms, a sure sign of spring in San Diego)...

Earlier that morning (3 am'ish), there was a massive storm. In fact, it had been raining all night and we weren't sure if the weather would be bad that day. There was intermittent sun and was a bit chilly but still, not so bad in my opinion. Another great thing that morning was that there were plenty of open tables around 10:45 am, so no long waits as I originally feared.

Their menu changes every weekend...


Here's the back page:


Our beverages:

The vividly hued "Elixir" was MFH's while I tried the pineapple mint refresher. Both drinks were quite tasty. MFH's juice was pretty potent, you  could really taste the ginger in there. My drink was pretty good; it would probably taste REALLY good with some Russian Standard vodka or rum!

Our brunch entrees:

I nearly forgot that MFH absolutely HATES/LOATHES/DESPISES eggs in any shape or form. Many of the brunch offerings had eggs of some sort, but there were also some waffle choices which she selected. This was her organic Belgian waffle with brown butter whipped cream, caramel, candied pine nuts and sliced bananas.

The whipped brown butter cream was so light and fluffy!

Just look at that beautiful caramel...

I opted for the savory dish (and chose a scrambled rather than poached egg), a soup with Tuscan white beans, kale and mushrooms, served with olive bread from Bread & Cie.

My soup was quite hearty, filled with the vegetables, quinoa, and flavorful broth. Both of us took home leftovers that afternoon!

From our table, we could see an another enclosed dining area...

To your left is the cash register and a counter where you can order pastries and drinks...

The bathroom was unisex (I hate seeing urinals though) and has the prettiest tiles I've ever seen decorating a urinal!

Hmmm, they should also consider putting some Glade or Lysol in here, you know or at least some matches.

Remember the urinal? I used my zoom lens to take this photo.

I wonder who the hell put this sticker in there?! In a $%#@ urinal of all places. At least the sticker wasn't yellow (yet!)!

Everything looks better and more classy under a glass dome, doesn't it? As good as these looked, we made sure to save some room for dessert at our next stop...

We had such a lovely time here, enjoying our meal, the view, getting caught up and so on...

I would love to go here again with Bert and TC...

Alas, no gelato this time!

Even though my birthday was nearly two weeks ago, anything goes in April for me! This was just the first half of my day out with friends. Later that evening, I would be out with the gals from the gym! MFH and I go way back and I can't believe it's been almost 20 years of friendship...

Who else went to Gelato Vero Caffe for Brunch?
Darlene first wrote about it on Zagat SD, January 2014!

Gelato Vero Caffe
3753 India St.
San Diego, CA ZIP
(619) 295-9269

gelatoverocaffe.com and their FB page

Dessert would be at a newly opened place in Kearny Mesa...

2 comments:

Faye said...

Oh my goodness that waffle looked amazing!! I want to try that. How was the parking on that visit? I hate seeing urinals too.

caninecologne said...

hi faye - we parked a few blocks away, up on a hill, so we wouldn't have to pay the meters.

Urinals are so gross! Ugh!