
Even though it was sunny that morning, it quickly turned chilly and even the winds whipped us up a before we left...
Located in Banker's Hill on 5th and Redwood is this charming cafe with lots of character...

There's so much to

I don't know who decorated the place, but it was quite eclectic and eccentric.

Tables were also packed closely together. Thank goodness it wasn't crowded during our visit.

I tried something different that day - an iced Mexican mocha (which I didn't realize would have whipped cream on top as well as cinnamon, which I'm not too crazy about) and TC's limonata drink.

I should have realized that Mexican mocha would have cinnamon in it.

The drink was rather milky and sweet. The chocolate flavor wasn't that strong. Bert ended up enjoying most of it later that day, after thawing it from the freezer.

It might be nice to come by another time and try a different drink and soak in more of the quirky ambiance...

And....(famous words here)..."since we were in the area"....we stopped by Donut Haven, just up the street off of 5th and Robinson.

Even though they have their own parking lot, it was full and I ended up parking ILLEGALLY in the bank parking spots right next to it. Gulp.

I was there only for one thing, the blueberry donut but the lady said she had just run out.

As a consolation donut, I got a mini apple fritter.

If you compare the menu board prices to the one's linked on Kirbie's post (linked at the end), you will find that they raised their prices from December 2013 to now, from .89 to $1 a donut.

Besides the blueberry donut, the mini apple fritter is becoming my next favorite donut!

I just love the crispy golden brown craggy exterior!
We were in and out in about a minute or so and then I hauled @$$ out of my purloined spot and headed down this alley to get back to University Ave...


Who else went to Donut Haven?
Once again, Kirbie at the end of last year
Cafe Bassam
3088 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 557-0173
The website listed on yelp is broken so don't bother.
Donut Haven
420 Robinson St.
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 260-8587
donuthavensd.com
Our next stop would be over near the 8 freeway to a fairly new but "hidden" bakery...

No comments:
Post a Comment