"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, April 05, 2014

Cafe 21 - The full post

Hot off the press from last night's teaser post...

My pre-birthday dinner from Cafe 21 spent with my two favorite people, TC and Bert...

using this awesome coupon which you can also get if you sign up on Cafe 21's website...

We arrived pretty early for a Friday night, around 5:30 pm. We were asked if we had reservations (we didn't) because the inside was booked for RSVP's. No matter, it was still nice enough to eat on the patio which was empty.

All of the tables only sat two so we sat in the ONE spot that I've always wanted to sit...on the stone table and benches under the grape vine canopy!

I remember looking at it longingly last time TC and I were here...

It was so pretty with the grapevines intertwined with the wire trellis with hanging lamps and such...

Our main server was a cheerful young lady who also works at the downtown location. We found out that they will be taking over the old Croce's spot at the Keating building on the corner of 4th and F!

It was still Happy Hour time, so yay!

We got XII - the Avocado fries as well as XX - the Seasonal cobbler (for our dessert later)...

We chose two entrees and a salad to share, knowing that one entree would be free:

Since it was Friday, we didn't eat any meat so there goes that ribeye and short ribs, hahah.  We ordered the Fish of the Day and the Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp, along with the Hearts on Fire Salad.

We really loved the ambiance out here...I like this little quiet stretch of Adams. Underneath this canopy, it doesn't feel like you are next to a parking lot...

I loved seeing the unripe grape bunches...

Goblet of sangria (vanilla, pear, and kumquat):

Our drinks looked amazing - my sangria ($4) Bert's Hess Rye Imperial Stout ($3), and TC's fresh apple juice ($2.50):

I loved that they put fresh fruit in our two drinks. I was expecting chopped up fruits in my Sangria. This cross cut pear slice was a bit more elegant.

Cheers!

Or shall we say "Bottoms up?"!

Our appetizer, salad and entrees.

We wanted it all at once. That's how we Filipinos roll. None of this separate course stuff!

The avocado fries were as good the second time around...

We liked the light crisp exterior with the creamy avocado. The sauce was a slighlty spicy (but it really wasn't ) aioli.

The Spaghetti Squash with shrimp - It had fontina sauce, mushrooms, roasted heirloom tomatoes, spinach, and  a slice of toast, and feta cheese (with I requested on the side because I loathe feta cheese; Bert had it though, ugh).

The fish of the day was pan roasted halibut with mulitoclored fingerling potatoes, sauteed red chard, shaved fennel, and a lobster cream sauce. The halibut was garnished with sprouts and nasturtium leaves.

Everything was fantastic! The food was plated with great attention to detail and tasted as good as it looked!

Underneath the sauteed and roasted vegetables was the flavorful spaghetti squash.

Before I forget, this was the Hearts on Fire salad which was two lightl grilled hearts of romaine, topped with unripe mango, shaved pecorino cheese, sliced toasted almonds, and sweet and smoky kumquat dressing.

This was one of the most unusual things I've eaten in awhile. We haven't tried grilled lettuce before and enjoyed the mixture of textures and flavors. I liked the sweetness of the dressing. It wasn't too tart either.

Comiong out last was our dessert tapa, the seasonal cobbler (in this case strawberry and rhubarb) with hazelnut, walnut and oatmeal crumble...

Thank goodness they didn't bring this out singing to me!

We dug in and enjoyed the crumble...

I have to say that  every time I've been here, the service has been amazing. Every time. All of the servers were so friendly and knowledegable.

Bert wants to go here again...

This one's a keeper! I'm going to have to sign up Bert for this deal so that we CAN go again in September!

Previous visit to Cafe 21:
September 2012

This was one of the best birthday meal offers I've had. It was nice that I didn't have to go on the actual day of my birthday unlike some places, like Sprinkles and Jersey Mike's Subs (last year it wasn't like that). We might consider doing brunch here as well, or maybe we can wait until they open their new location downtown...I can hang with that since we can park free at Horton Plaza once again...

4 comments:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Happy Birthday! That really is a great birthday offer. I would've ordered the Azerbaijani kebabs. :)

caninecologne said...

hi wc - thanks! my real bday is next sunday! :)

i ordered the kabobs last time. you would like the kebas. we did seafood this time.

Mary said...

Hi CC - This was one of my favorites for the birthday meal, too. Very generous offer and the food/ambiance are fantastic. I love the slice of pear in your sangria! It looks so fancy, ohh la la.

caninecologne said...

hi mary - so far, this place is my favorite. it sure beats The Pearl!

that sangria was very pretty looking and very light and refreshing. not strong enough though, haha.