"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Monday, April 28, 2014

Blush Desserts

Fresh from our brunch at Gelato Vero Caffe, MFH and I made our way over to Kearny Mesa to this little strip mall, which looks like they updated their sign...

No more Moby Dick or Octopus's Garden, but the So Cal Gun Shop is still there, along with a new Taiwanese eatery (Yes! Pingo) and this new dessert place I'd read about on Eater SD...

For comparison's sake, here's the old Convoy-Ronson Plaza sig.

(photo from my "Moby Dick" post, July 2012)

Looks like it was stuck in the 80's.

Right between a metroPCS store and Yes! Pingo is the still signless Blush Desserts.

Just look for this banner...

They had their soft opening on April 8 and have been operating with a limited menu and sparsely furnished interior. MFH and I met the cheerful owner, Cammie Le, a local San Diegan who grew up in City Heights. Although not formally trained as a baker, she decided to pursue her love of baking desserts and open up her own shop.

Their menu:

Loose leaf teas were on the counter of the dessert case...

There were five flavors of macarons that day - lavender, raspberry rose, strawberry shortcake, jasmine milk tea and chamango.   Wait, wut? Chamango?

As for the cakes, there were two plus a panna cotta.  Only one of each was on display, the red velvet, the chocolate.

I'm sure that they're not quite done decorating yet, but once the space is fully furnished and the pale pink walls decorated, the space will look much better.

Surprisingly, she does not offer hot coffee, which was fine for me, but you'd think a dessert place would offer it. I ordered the iced cold brew coffee which comes from Mostra, a local (and Filipino American owned) roaster (based in Rancho Bernardo).

MFH and I shared the iced coffee after I sweetened it up with milk and sugar in the raw.

I loved the size of the crushed ice here and that it wasn't "cubed".

Our shared desserts:

We originally wanted the red velvet but she ran out and gave us the panna cotta "on the house", which was a nice gesture. We liked that our desserts were served on vintage saucers, which she sourced from various thrift stores all over San Diego over the past year.

MFH liked the panna cotta more than I did, since I'm not a fan of soft textured things. The panna cotta had a silk texture with a light and fresh strawberry topping.

Our macaron assortment. Yes, despite my dislike of floral flavored items, I still wanted to try Cammie's flavor repertoire (she plans to rotate a dozen daily from 41 total flavors; her favorite macs are from Brodard's!).

MFH unknowingly committed the "sin" of eating a macaron without sharing it! One moment, it was there, then the next it wasn't!  It was kind of funny, but I ended up buying another Chamango flavored macaron so I could try it as well.

The chocolate cake was quite moist and drenched with chocolate sauce and on the bottom, a housemade raspberry sauce.

I liked the cake much better than the panna cotta.

Cammie shared with us that she was still experimenting with the chamango flavor. Inside, there was chamoy but not much of the chaca chaca flavor. The macaron tasted mainly of mango.  Kudos to her for trying a different kind of flavor that many folks aren't aware of.

The macs were pretty consistent in size and the only "hollow" shelled mac was the jasmine milk tea, a flavor that MFH really liked.

My favorite flavors were the intense raspberry rose and the strawberry cheesecake; my least fave was the lavender (no surprise there). I hope to try her other flavors over the course of this year.  I'm looking forward to the grand opening which is set for May 17th.

Who else went to Blush Desserts?
Kirbie went last week, a few days after their soft opening...

Blush Desserts (in the Convoy-Ronson Plaza strip mall)
4817 Convoy St.
San Diego, CA 92111
(858) 505-9498

www.blushdesserts.com

I'm sure they are still working things out here and of course, there is definitely room for improvement. I'm glad that MFH and I stopped by and had the pleasure of meeting Cammie, the owner of Blush. She was such a friendly and passionate young lady with whom we enjoyed chatting.

9 comments:

KirkK said...

I know Cammie quite well CC....she used to work for Sam at Sushi Yaro and is friends with some good family friends. She's very nice...though she does call me "Uncle Kirk" all the time....yeeesh

caninecologne said...

hi kirk - small world! well, she is a very sweet young lady!

Uncle! :)

Faye said...

I haven't been to this plaza. Like ever. It does look like the plaza sign changed. Thanks for the two pics showing that. The new sign is so much better. I just remember the Gentlemen's Club being here all those years ago. Is that Korean restaurant still occupying that space?

Does the owner make her own macs? I tried one at Whole Foods the other day. I don't know Brodards(?).

I'm not familiar with chamango. Can you explain the chaca chaca flavor or what it means.

This little shop looks cute. Maybe I'll finally hit Yes Pingo and then visit Blush for dessert.

caninecologne said...

Hi Faye, yes the plaza sign did change, hence my comparison photos. :)

i didn't see the korean restaurant but it's listed on the sign the empty space which used to be Moby Dick is going to be something else, but don't know what. that used to be a titty bar as well.

yes, the owner makes everything here.

Brodard's is a Vietnamese restaurant in Westminster, known for their nem nuong (pork rolls). Kirk has referenced it in his Pho Ban Mai post. I have also posted on both locations of Brodard's (one in Garden Grove, but no macs there)
.
Please look at my old posts on Teresita's or better yet, look up Cathy's posts on Mmm-yoso on chamango. Kirk's site has a better search engine. Just type in Chamango and her epic post will pop up.

Ir would probably be better to visit Blush after she gets settled in, but by all means, go for it.



caninecologne said...

faye - turns out that moby dick turned into 70 Bobcha/Taste of Korea then went out of business. their name is still on the sign. there is a new sign on the front part of the building now which says "Common". I saw on Eater SD that it's supposed to be Common Theory Public House, a beer-centric eatery. Hmmm...

Cathy Doe said...

Can't wait to stop in here. Tea and these delicate sweets sound just right.

caninecologne said...

hi cathy - i know you will like that pineapple/tajin mac! :)

Mary said...

I peeked in here yesterday since my chiropractor is in the same plaza but it was closed. I'll be interested in trying it out after my appointments though after they officially open! That cake looks awesome with all of the sauce/chocolate on it. The macs look good, too. Nice to see she's planning on rotating flavors. That means always something different!

caninecologne said...

i read on their facebook that they had wierd hours because the owner was sick. hmmm...well, hopefully you will be able to check this place out before the grand opening (the 17th) or even after. her macs kind of need work - they are on the soft side, but i really like how adventurous she is with the flavors (especially the mexican ones).