
The motley assortment of items on the sidewalk caught my attention so we made a mental note to check it out after seeing the museum...
We usually enjoy browsing through vintage stores whenever we're out of town...

You never know what you'll come across sometimes.
Someone somewhere collects these antiques...


The store, while not that large, was filled with all sorts of interesting memorabilia...

What caught my eye was this bookshelf with 8-Tracks tapes (and a red Viewmaster!)! Yes, the favored audio pre-cursor to cassette tapes! My dad used to have an 8-track player in his Oldsmobile. It would make a "ka chunk" sound when one side was finished, then you'd have to eject the 8-track cartridge and re-insert it to hear the other side.
Warning - 70's retro teen idol commentary coming up...
I was happy to see "Van Halen II", Van Halen's 2nd album (released in 1979). I've been a big fan of Van Halen since the 4th grade when I discovered and became enamored with FM radio. Yes I was a budding rocker at an early age!

"Dance the Night Away" was one of my favorite songs and I had the biggest crush on Eddie Van Halen (who incidentally, is half Indonesian and half Dutch)! I remember saving posters of him from the rock and roll magazines (Creem and Hit Parader) and putting Eddie on my wall instead of the Tiger Beat andTeen Beat poster boys of the day.

Sigh..."So dreamy", ha ha ha! His hair was so awesome!
Yowzah, something about rocker dudes, especially guitarists...

No, my walls were devoid of the totally pussy Shaun Cassidy (half brother of David Cassidy of "Patridge Family" fame). His songs weren't my cup of tea: "Da Doo Ron Ron", "Hey Deanie", and "Do You Believe In Magic" (two of which were covers)...
(He had some pretty nice but big teefs there but this pretty boy didn't do it for me)
I was also NOT a fan of Leif Garrett. Despite his awesome feathered mane, his puppy dog eyes and luscious lips (snicker), he was a bit too femme and I didn't like his lame songs, which were mainly 1950's and 1960's cover songs ("Runaround Sue" and "The Wanderer").
If you've ever watched the S.E. Hinton film adaption of her classic coming of age novel, "The Outsiders" (which TC and her English class is currently reading, although TC read my original paperback two years ago), Leif Garrett played Bob Sheldon, one of the asshole soc's (pronounced "so-shes", or the rich kids) who ends up getting knifed to death by Johnny, played by a pre-"Karate Kid" Ralph Macchio.
Aaaaaand here's his "death scene":
Hard to believe this movie is over 30 years old now!
Another poster boy that my friends liked was Scott Baio, who played the Fonz's younger cousin "Chachi Arcola" from the TV show, "Happy Days" and its subsequent spinoff, "Joanie Loves Chachi". He also played the starring role in 80's sitcom, "Charles in Charge" and in the late 2000's was featured in VH-1's reality show, "Scott Baio is 45...and Single" (OMG, can you say, "Loser"? Haha)...
"Wah wah wah" (his catch phrase from "Happy Days")
OMG, all of THIS trivia just from looking at a Van Halen II 8-track cartridge! Before ending the post, here's a couple of songs from the VHII album, my fave VH song, "Dance the Night Away" (the live version, not the studio version)...
and their cover of Linda Rondstadt's "You're No Good":
Holy $%#@! Those red spandex pants on David Lee Roth must be sprayed on!
Did I get anything from this place? Why yes indeed, I did!
I bought an old rabbit Pez (it wasn't as old as I thought; I looked it up and it's circa early 90's), and a cute robin's egg blue bubblegum beaded necklace.

I have a retro looking black and white dress that these beads would look brilliant against. The rabbit Pez is currently keeping company with all of my other "Easter" themed Pez.
The owner was really cool and so helpful not just to me, but to all of his customers. There was a guy there who was looking for something really specific. There were a lot of browsers there that afternoon and it was fun looking at all of the little retro knick knacks.
The Blue Pig
2306 W. Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91506
(310) 948-6456
www.thebluepigstore.com plus the overwhelmingly positive reviews from you know where.
Up next - donuts across the street!

No comments:
Post a Comment