"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Sunday, April 06, 2014

Dunkin' Donuts, Downtown

I'm going to skip the "sightseeing post" and go straight to the big guns, the snacks we had that day!

Just fill in the blanks in your mind.  Let's put it this way, we finally saw that giant statue of the sailor kissing the nurse...

But I digress...

Using my favorite line to Bert and TC, "Since we're in the area....why don't we go to (insert name of place here)?"....


And of course, the answer is always, "Yes..."

**Here's a tip for ya - DON'T GO THROUGH THE FRONT DOOR. GO AROUND THE CORNER AND YOU WILL SEE THE STOREFRONT.

I'd read about the crazy long lines at the opening of Dunkin' Donuts earlier last month. People were camped out in the wee morning hours just to get donuts and coffee. Please don't shoot me since I didn't grow up on the East Coast and therefore am immune to the lure of Dunkin' Donuts. I remember seeing all over the place when we visited Thane in Boston 11 years ago. They were EVERYWHERE, like Tim Hortons in Canada and ABC Stores in Hawaii.

We don't really have a donuts and coffee equivalent in San Diego I guess. Besides this location, the only other DD is on a military base in Oceanside so it's not really open to the public. Those wishing to indulge their donut/coffee  cravings can now do so here, in the very nice Embassy Suites hotel...

Nice inner courtyard....


So as pretty as this was, this was a wasted  few minutes inside...

As mentioned earlier, don't bother going through the front door of the hotel lobby. Just go around the corner and to the side.  You're welcome.   It was the early afternoon...maybe around 1:30 or something. See? No line!  Plus this was more than a month after the much heralded opening.

One half is a Baskin Robbin's ice cream counter and the other half is donuts.


The racks of donuts were not as large as I thought they would be. They were also so far away from the counter.

I thought the donuts would be "closer" and easier to look at instead of being set back.

We just got two to look at and eat later...one was this:

while the other was a blueberry donut (which Kirbie tried; her post linked at the end)...

The Mint Oreo Creme:

The Blueberry:

Of the two, I liked the blueberry better, although it was much lighter and fluffier and softer than any of the other blueberry donuts we've had at other places.

The blueberry was a bit "too soft" for me. I kind of like them fried more, with a crunchier coating.
bite

The mint was saved for later that evening...

and here it was after we pieced it apart. There really wasn't a lot of creme. The green frosting had a wierd taste to it. It kind of felt like I was eating toothpaste!

Crest frosted donuts anyone?  No coffee that afternoon since we already had our fix from Lion Coffee earlier that morning.

Kirbie was here during opening week and experienced the craziness...

Dunkin' Donuts (at the Embassy Suites)
601 Pacific Highway
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) phone

www.dunkindonuts.com

Across the street was another new place we hadn't explored yet, the Headquarters...

7 comments:

Mary said...

I was waiting for the hype to die down before even attempting to go here and get my sour cream donut fix. I'm happy to hear it's not super crazy anymore - yay! That means I can drag Jake Downtown now, heh heh. I like that photo of the donut in front of the sign - makes me laugh! I think I'd like the crispier blueberry donut, too, since that's the way I've always had it.

caninecologne said...

hi mary - i honestly don't see the hype in this place. whatever dude, right, haha.

their blueberry donut is too soft. i have to try that sour cream donut though. eventually.

MrM said...

Wow...that's a fancier place to reopen in SD then when they first started here! Now all their old locations are Sunny Donutsez.

caninecologne said...

Hello Mist - Yes, it's in a nice hotel. There 3 old DD's that are Sunny Donuts in SD. I posted on 2 of them already - the locations in Chula Vista and National City. There are two more I want to check out - one in La Mesa and the other in Kearny Mesa (on Clairemont Mesa Blvd). I like to be "thorough" in my research.

caninecologne said...

I meant 4 Sunny Donuts locations.

MrM said...

I go to the Kearny one in a pinch. My officemates are Donut Junkies. Its funny how that one and the one in NC kept all the old DD decor and stuff. I feel like I step into a timewarp each time I go in there.

Where's my hair mousse and guyliner...

=P

caninecologne said...

To be honest, the donuts at Sunny aren't all that great but I like looking at the "time warp" aspect of it all, especially the U-shaped counters.