"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, April 04, 2014

Seafood Friday - Week 5, Pre-birthday dinner @ Cafe 21

This will be a super short post...

Earlier this evening, we went here...

No, not the liquor store but the restaurant next door...

This time Bert was with us at Cafe 21 on Adams Ave. The previous times I've gone here, it's only been TC and I.

I wanted to use my free birthday meal offer, which can be used any day of your birthday month. So even though I'm not technically one year older yet, it was nice to use it any day I wanted.

The quick rundown was this:

Since it was a Friday, that meant seafood of some sort. These two entrees were the ones that offered seafood at Cafe 21 (a seared scallop in curry sauce seen on their website was no longer being offered). Gosh, if it wasn't a Friday during Lent, I would have wanted the braised short ribs or the grilled NY steak!

The Chef's Choice Fish of the Day was pan fried halibut with fingerling potatoes, sauteed red chard and fennel with a lobster cream sauce ($25/market price). The halibut was garnished with sprouts and flower petals (not sure which kind but I want to say nasturtium).


Our other entree was spaghetti squash with shrimp ($21) which was sauteed with mushrooms, red peppers, onions, and roasted garlic, and organic spinach mixed with roasted heirloom tomato sauce, and Fontina sauce. This was served over a bed of garlic spaghetti squash and garnished with the dreaded feta cheese (which I requested "on the side" because I HATE feta cheese and feta cheese = barf).

Everything was plated so beautifully and best of all, it tasted just as good as it looked (except for that rancid feta cheese).

A full fledged post will follow (since we also ordered drinks, an appetizer from their tapas menu, and a dessert)...

2 comments:

Mary said...

Both of those look delicious! Cafe 21 is definitely one of the best deals for birthday meals!

caninecologne said...

hi mary - yes, i'm glad they had this deal!