"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, April 05, 2014

Hawaii's Lion Coffee

Lucky for us, Bert had the day off for Cesar Chavez day...

A day off meant time for another trolley adventure....

It's been while since we last did this; we took the blue line from H St. to the Imperial station then headed downtown.

We had a four year old $50 giftcard for McCormick & Schmick's that we kept putting off . One of my friends gave us that giftcard after we gave her TC's old crib for her baby. The giftcard was an unexpected gift that was languishing in our close organizer.

We would do lunch later because first, we needed our caffeine buzz!

We took the foot mobile over to Market St., not realizing that this coffee shop was right across the street from the brick Ralph's grocery store.

Lion Coffee is a premium gourmet coffee company from Hawaii. The downtown location was the first on the mainland; there is now a second location in Kearny Mesa.

The day of our visit, there was a customer who brought in her Great Dane; we found out later his name was Vonnegut. As in Kurt Vonnegut.

He was so devoted to her and even tried climbing on her lap a few times (she was in a wheelchair). He provoked a lot of smiles and questions. It turns out that a lot of people didn't know what kind of dog he was. Are you kidding me? Have they NOT watched Scooby Doo?

We both got our usuals...

We got TC a blended fruit smoothie (mango, wild berries, and passionfruit)...

We sat in the bar seats outside. Too crowded inside.

My iced coffee and Bert's caramel macchiato. I remember reading some reviews online that the iced coffee was kind of watered down, so I asked for it to be "strong" and man, was it. It was pretty bold and bitter. It needed to be sweetened up for wimpy me.

This is where I got confused. I didn't know that the coffee would come without cream. I only saw soy milk and nonfat milk but I couldn't "find" the creamer so I got the powdered kind, which is GROSS!!!

Yes, I'm a coffee newbie.  Turns out that I should have been looking for the half and half, which Bert found easily on the inside counter. Duh on me.  That powdered stuff was vile! It didn't help either. Before putting in the half and half, I dumped in two packets of sugar to sweeten this.

Note to self - never use powdered creamer again.

It was quite interested waking around downtown. I'm so not used to being a pedestrian. It was cool since it was a holiday Monday morning and pretty dead. I liked it! No crowds!

Hawaii's Lion Coffee
101 Market St.
San Diego, CA 92010
(619) 299-5466

www.lionmainland.com

We were so amused by Vonnegut while sipping our drinks. He was such a well behaved dog and so many people walking by wanted to pet him. So as a nod to Vonnegut, here are a couple of famous Great Danes that we should all know of:

Scooby Doo (his nephew Scrappy Doo doesn't count):

and Marmaduke:


Ugh, to get that awful visual out of my mind, here is the REAL video by the Romantics:

Man, that's hard to sing and drum at the same time!

We hoofed it back to our original stop in order to use up a four year old gift card that we'd been meaning to use forever...

4 comments:

Mary said...

Vonnegut is such a cool name for a dog! Scrappy-doo sucks.

caninecologne said...

Yes, THAT was such a cool name for a dog. Whatever happened to names like Rex, Fido and Spot? Pets have more "human" names now. That dog was ginormous, but very loving and loyal.

Scrappy Doo was a major mistake and waste of animation.

Cathy Doe said...

That location used to be a Starbucks and wasn't very crowded when I had Jury Duty a few years ago. Yes, always ask for milk or half and half. We shan't speak of unusual pet names; I've done my part.

caninecologne said...

hi cathy - it's such a random spot for a coffee place. not sure if it will last long. i like your dogs' names! :)