"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Return to Del Mar Rendezvous

A card like this can only be from one person...

and that would be my dear friend Astroboi with whom I spent several fab hours today in the coastal city of Del Mar...

For the record, the inside of the card reads, "The more you have, the harder it is to breathe"!

I joked to him that the word rendezvous reminded me of Sheila E...

For you young 'uns, Sheila E. is a female "timbalera" extraordinaire, a former Prince protege and member of Ringo Starr's All Starr Band. She comes from Latin musical royalty - Her father is Latin percussionist Pete Escovedo; her godfather. is Tito Puente!

This is the vision of Sheila E. I remember from the mid 80's when she was still a Prince protege...

Those shoulder pads and lace gloves! Rawr!

Her 1984 debut album, "The Glamorous Life" had the hit single  of the same name as well as several sexually charged songs like, "Next Time Wipe the Lipstick Off Your Collar", and "Noon Rendezvous" (a song which she co-wrote with Prince). So yeah, "rendezvous" from the song "Noon Rendezvous"...

She is still is an amazing musician (did you see her perform with Prince at the Grammy's in 2010?) Sheila E. also still looks hot at age 56! I want to look that good when I hit my 50's!

(photo from the OC Weekly, April 2011, which is also featured on her website)

The last time I was here was two years ago with Bert for the same reason...

so I could use my free birthday meal offer. This is one of the better ones, like Cafe 21.

We kept it simple, ordering just two items, 1) the Walnut Shrimp and 2) the Seafood Claypot.

I was surprised to see later on our check that the Walnut Shrimp was listed as $14.95 when on the menu it was $21, but I didn't complain since they comped me the $22 for the Seafood Clay Pot dish! We both thought Astroboi's tea plunger receptacle thing was quite cool. Tres fancy.

Our lunch entrees...

Astroboi chose this one and it was a winner! There were so many types of seafood in here with a delicious black bean sauce.

The Walnut Shrimp was a repeat from before, since I liked it so much.

I need to learn to make this at home (using Kirbie's recent recipe post)!!!

Just look at that creamy sauce!

"This is Top Chef, not Top Scallop!"

I believe that quote was from Fabio (from "Top Chef - I forget the season but it was in 2009/Season 7?)!

He was pissed off at another chef for using scallops yet again. Well, the scallops in the Seafood Clay Pot were huge! We loved it since it had a little bit of everything in the pot! Astroboi liked everything but the, ahem, clams. He loved the sauce so much that he proclaimed he wanted to "bathe in it"!

Last time I was here, we weren't given a dessert menu. We automatically got the mango sorbet.

History repeated itself today with the reappearance of the mango sorbet (the other dessert choices didn't wow either of us). Plus, we wanted to "save ourselves" for our "Real Dessert" at a nearby venue.

This time, the sorbet wasn't flush with the hollowed out mango. It filled the mango and was scooped even higher!

This was quite a bit of sorbet to tackle....

It was a nice and refreshing end to a great birthday meal shared with a one of my best friends in the entire universe and then some!

In Astroboi's car, 80's music is King. Here is a partial playlist of what we listened to:

"In a Big Country" - Big Country
"Noticeable Ones" - Missing Persons
"What's the Matter Here" -10,000 Maniacs (sorry Astroboi, but I totally loathe this song like I loathe Kenny G.)
"Love Plus One" - Haircut 100
"Oblivious" - Aztec Camera
"Pass the Dutchie" - Musical Youth
"Postcards from Paradise" - Flesh for Lulu

Previous visit to Del Mar Rendezvous:
April 2012 with Bert

Dessert would be next just a few minutes away...

2 comments:

Mary said...

Mm, I love their walnut shrimp here. I think I signed up for their thing but I wasn't able to get up to Del Mar last year. Or maybe I forgot to sign up. Man, who knows. I need to start a birthday freebie excel file or something. It's cute they wrote out Happy Bday on your plate.

caninecologne said...

hi mary - i love their batter on the shrimp...my bday freebie excel file is your bday freebie blog posts, haha! thanks for always doing those great roundups!