"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Hodad's

Last Friday Bert took the day off so we could all enjoy the last day of Fall Break together.

On our way up on the 5, we noticed that the scaffolding was gone on the new downtown library dome.

Turns out they were having some sort of ceremony there that same day about that...

Can't wait to see what it looks like inside AND out when if finally opens.

Today we were going to OB to finally try out a "beloved" burger spot...

We normally shy away from the beach areas but since it was a Friday morning. we didn't think it would be too bad.

Good ole OB...

We thought we might be able to see the OB tidepools today but didn't both checking to see if and when it would be low tide. D'oh!

Unfortunately it was high tide so we took a leisurely stroll on the OB Pier before heading up the main drag of Newport Avenue.

High tide...

Surfers paddling out to catch waves...

Many folks were out on both ends of the pier trying to catch some fish...

It was starting to really warm up so we walked back to Newport so we could have lunch and also get there before the line got too long (for I had been forewarned about lines here).

This burger place was featured on the Food Network as one of the "best" burgers Guy Fieri's had ("The Best Thing I Ever Ate" and on "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives"). My sister and her boys also really like this place. I've read some so-so reviews so, with coupon in hand, we took our chances and were happy to be seated almost immediately. Plus, there was no long line (yet)!

You may see their menu online here:

The decor has surfboards hanging from the ceilings and wall to wall license plates and other types of signage.




Our service was fast and quick. Our server(s) were really cool and laid back. Very very nice folks here. Lots of classic rock playing. My type of music.

We got a SMALL order of their fries. Yes, that is a SMALL. I liked the unevenly cut wedges and the seasoning. It was a pretty big portion. Whatever their seasoning was, it was really tasty!

Since I had a two for one coupon, we ordered one Bacon Burger and once Bacon Cheeseburger and requested that they be cut in half. As you can see, the burgers are piled pretty high. The bacon was chopped up and was pretty thick and meaty. The patty itself wasn't anything special. There was also a whole lot of filler in there - lettuce, tomatoes and thick cut raw onion rings. On a scale of 1 to 5 (with 1 being totally shitty and 5 being AWESOME), it was a 3.

To make this easier to eat, I ended up deconstructing mine by removing the onion rings (which I wasn't too crazy about). I also requested that my burger come without mustard and pickles.  We each had one half and then we finished off the last half between us three (mostly Bert and I). We didn't get a burger each because I wasn't sure how huge their burgers would be. Take away all the "salad" fixings in there, and it was pretty average. If it didn't have any bacon, I would downgrade this to a 2. But it had bacon so that absolved things. Bert's verdict was that it was all right. TC was easy to please and liked the bacon cheeseburger here.

It's quite the handful isn't it?  Did I mention how cool and nice our servers were? By the time we left, the line was pretty darn long!!! Glad we got there when we did and glad that we saved some $$ on this too.

Hodad's
5010 Newport Ave
San Diego, CA 92107
(619) 224-4623

hodadies.com

Who else went to Hodad's?
KirkRoger of The Fifth Deadly SinKirbie, and The Food Gastronomer.

Some trivia -
Of course, I had to throw this in, but the Hodad's  logo is featured on the t-shirt "memory quilt" that Bella Swan (in "Twilight - Eclipse; that's the third movie for you non Twi-hards) receives as a gift from her mom.

Hodad's is a surfer term to refer to someone that tries to look and act like a surfer, but isn't one; basically a Hodad is a "poser".  And I thought it referred to a manwhorish father. Just kidding.

Up next, dessert at several places!

6 comments:

Jinxi said...

Hi CC! Hodad's is my favorite burger in San Diego. I actually think it's the "salad" of toppings that makes me like it so much :-)

Mary said...

I had Hodad's once forever ago and sat in a cool car booth (is that still there?). I don't remember what it was like anymore, but I didn't like it enough to want to ever stand in line for it again.

I can't wait to see the new library! We've walked by a few times on the way to a Padres game and it looks impressive from the outside.

Soo said...

Hi! Where did you get your Hodad's coupon?

caninecologne said...

hi minxi - i liked the bacon but it was too thick to hold with your hands to just bite into it. :)

hi mary - i don't know if the car booth is still there. we were just happy to get seated (way in the back). we were lucky that day since we just walked in and got a seat. i don't think i'd stand in a line for this.

hi soo---thanks for visiting! about the coupon - it was in those Entertainment Value coupon books. i bought it as a school fundraiser but you can also buy them at Walgreens. It's $40 for the big book (lots of discounts at local restaurants - both nice ones and fast food, businesses, museums, . etc.

i really like it because it 'pays for itself'! it also gives me and my family the opportunity to try new places we otherwise wouldn't have tried.

not sure if hodad's is in the 2013 book. i still have to get a new one. the coupons from 2012 expire on nov. 1 of this year.

Soo said...

Thanks for the info. I'm impressed how much food you get for half off!

caninecologne said...

Soo - sometimes you have to check the coupons carefully. some places will say, 'buy one get one free', and some will say, 'buy one get one free with the purchase of two drinks' (which jacks up the price), and sometimes there's restrictions on the amount, like, 'buy one get one (up to XX amount of $)'.