"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Michele Coulon Dessertier

After my fab lunch with Dennis and Jinxi at Bella Vista Cafe, I headed out to downtown La Jolla...

I haven't been here in ages and I was a bit unnerved by all the stop and go traffic on the surface streets. I guess I'm a driving wimp, but I quickly overcame this feeling knowing I would be checking out some good desserts in a few minutes...


Parking was street and I was able to find an open corner available on Fay Avenue. I didn't have to parallel park between cars (which I won't even attemp), so this was perfect.

I had a to walk a tiny bit before finding the small shopping center where the dessert place was located...

It was very charming inside and full of so many delectable goodies. A few folks were having lunch in there, but otherwise, it was pretty quiet. After helping the lady in front  of me, the girl working there was quite attentive. She was really nice and patient when I asked her about the different flavors of cakes.

That blingy chandelier was so cute - I loved it!

There was a wide selection of mini desserts ($1.75 each) in their case as well as full sized slices of cakes ($10 each). I liked being able to choose among the mini's and not feel like I was breaking the bank. The other flavors I didn't get were carrot cake, some sort of tiramisu, lemon cake, and coconut cake. There's probably a few more flavors that I can't recall.

These were the mini desserts plus the macaron in this box. The other box (which isn't pictured) held a slice of cake, my one big splurge that day.

A last look at the shopping area...

Stopped at a light....

and checking out the huge homes in the hills.

So this is how the other half lives, eh?

Ready for their closeup....

I especially got this for Bert, German Chocolate:

Hazelnut (it's hard to see, but the top of the cake had a metallic blue sheen):

Chocolate Mousse:

A fruit tart...TC didn't really like the jelly like coating but I liked the buttery crust!

Pecan tart - this was so very nutty and tasty. I didn't really like the glitter on top of it though. It didn't seem necessary.

Banana cake:

And I had to get one macaron. This was strawberry and was filled with a jamlike filling.

Here was my big splurge, the slide of the Gateau Aileen - a sponge cake with four types of berries (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries)...

This was quite light and ethereal. The girl recommended that the cake be thawed to room temperature for at least thirty minutes before eating. I would have eaten this frozen! It was so good!

Now that I've had it, I think this will be the first and the last $10 slice of cake I'll ever buy. Don't get me wrong, it was really good, but whoa, what an expensive habit that would be!

Who else went to Michele Coulon Dessertier?

Kirbie was here recently and it was her post that made me want to check it out!

Michele Coulon Dessertier
7556 Fay Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037
(858) 456-5098

www.dessertier.com

The desserts were enjoyed later that evening. Of the mini desserts, my favorites were the hazelnut and the chocolate moussee, while Bert's was the German Chocolate (no surprise there). TC really liked the delicate banana cake. Those were the perfect little bites.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I love that metallic blue sheen on the hazelnut cake! So pretty! I mean, it doesn't have to be pretty as long as it tastes good but its a nice little touch. How much were the mini's? Maybe you said I didn't see it. The cake slice looks really awesome... but yeah, at $10 a slice I would think twice about ordering it, too!

Kirbie said...

Yay, so glad you had a chance to visit. I haven't had a chance to revisit, but I want to really soon to try that cake.

caninecologne said...

hi Mary - all of the mini cakes tasted good, so the looks matched the taste of the cakes. the mini's were $1.75 each. the cake slice, i don't think i'll do that again, but man, was it good!

hi kirbie - yes, i'm glad too. the girl working there was very nice.